Which to get? Macbook or Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by SilentWalker, Sep 3, 2009.

1. SilentWalker

SilentWalker Retired Moderator

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hello everyone. Macbook junkies, I need your help!

Please Register or Log in to view images

I'm going to university next year and my grandparents said that they'll buy me a laptop if I actually get into a uni of my choice. But they will only go for around $800 CAN for the most. I really, really, really, really really want an Apple computer.

I've been with Windows all my life (I've never even seen a Mac in real in my life, although I would love to), mainly because of market and pricing. But I want to see what I will get for my money if I put out, say, at most $1500. Also, I read here (which seems like a very fair test) - http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/reviews/4258725.html - that both an iMac and a Macbook ran Windows faster than a PC with 1 more Gb of RAM. Sounds tempting!

So, considering the following categories, and a maximum price of $1500 (although I would prefer the lowest price as possible), what is the max specs, i.e. value for money I can get on either a Macbook or Macbook Pro (not Air).

-Price
    -Size (preferebly NOT a 13"...and i think 17" might be just too much greenery....so a 15" will have to do)
    -Core speed (around 2.53Ghz....preferebly more but not if it costs too much)*
    -RAM (I would love 4GB)*
    -HDD (160GB is more than enough)
    -Graphics card (ability to run some high end games - not like hardcore games but you know what I mean)*
    -Can be used for everything UNIVERSITY
    -Weight and thickness (not that important)

*Can run, Vista or Windows 7 (if it can, it will definitely run XP, which, if I can find a copy of, I will definitely use), just in-case of compatibility and market (software for Macs are really expensive, like if I buy this I won't be able to afford iWork or whatever you call it). Also I want to ease into Leopard, as I have use Windows all my life. Like my baby blanket.

Just keep in mind that I'm broke because I just spent all my savings (1 yr worth) on my iPod Touch 16GB 2nd gen. So price is kinda priority. Then specs, then weight. Try and stay away from a 13"...it's too small for me, and if a 17" will be in my price range, I would love it.

Just to help me, if you can, can you post the price, all the specs, and the size of the models I should consider? I don't have the time to research it as I am not supposed to be on the computer (my mom banned me), and I just barely finished typing this put.

Or would it just make sense to forget it and buy a PC?

Edit:...oh yea...and I think it should be an aluminum case....or is there any better?
  2. Hellishness

Hellishness Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    def get the aluminum MBP. its 200 bucks that you will most likely not regret. unless you really dont care about looks..but the white one has a slower processor. if you're really tight on money, you might wanna get a 13inch over a 15.
  3. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Check apples refurb section. Usually some good deals in there. The other day they had a 2.4GHz 13" with 4GB of memory and a 230GB HD for like $999, might still be there.
  4. SilentWalker

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ok thanks to both repliers...I hav some time now so I will head over to Apple's site for a quick look. Thanks again.

And just a quick question - based on the criteria I listed above, especially with it running Windows along with some high end games, will it be better to take 2GB RAM over 4GB and invest the money in processor speed? Or take 4GB and then take whatever processor I can afford with the rest of my money?

Also what's the main dif between a Macbook and a MB Pro? Like besides weight and thickness, say I look at one of each with around the same specs and size of screen, will one be cheaper than the other? In other words, which will I get more value for money?

And thanks again.
  5. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I'd just look at prosseser speed, you can always buy more RAM/memory later on if you need it (4GB for around $60 or less) And the hard drive too. If the prosseser is just a few GHz higher or lower than the other chances are you will not notice a difference.

Just look at the lower speced ones and see how much it would cost for you to bring it up to par (Buy Memory/HDD) with the higher speced macbook and base your decision on that.

Every current macbook is perfectly capable of running most games. Just check the minimum requirements of the games you want to run, all macs probably far exced the requirements.
  6. deaduck3

deaduck3 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro here is a link to the specs( just scroll down and hit tech specs or compare). i have had windows my whole life too and finally got sick of windows sucking. i just bought the 13 in macbook for college and it is nice! the pro has a few more features like illuminated keyboard, a bit faster, and has an aluminum case. but the macbook is just plain awesome. mine is much faster than any windows computer i've used, no viruses just awesome.

so i can't speak for the macbook pro, but you won't be disappointed with the regular macbook either. like above posts said you can always upgrade the macbook to be faster/more memory.

oh btw if you go to apples site, hit mac, scroll down and there is a link to get macs for college. click on that. it will give you a discount on you mac, give you a free printer up to $100, and a free ipod up to $229. thats what i did printer works great and got the 120gb ipod for a great deal.
  7. SilentWalker

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks a lot jimbeam and deaduck3....you guys helped a lot. But can anyone backup jimbeam on the thing with processor speed and RAM? Not that I don't believe you, its just that I want to be totally sure before I put out $1000+ bucks on un-ventured territory.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    @deaduck3: wow, the us prices are okay-ish...still a bit expensive; but I'm Canadian, and the prices on the ca site are like WOW...theyre so much!!!

For those of you accustomed to a typical 15.6" laptop screen (which I find small), how was the switch to a 13" Macbook? I can't imagine myself using a 13", but the prices are just too much!!!

And 2.26Ghz...how fast is that? All the specs on it look good except for the 2GB RAM (it seems like a really little bit)..and the core also. It seems like it doesnt make sense taking this one. I might have to end up taking the 13" with the higher specs...but $1749?.....WOW!!! I better start saving up!

Im still not comfortable with the 13"......my chances of getting a Mac that I'm comfortable with are starting to look pretty slim. I can get almost double the specs on a PC laptop for only $900...but I know its just not the same as a Mac.

I still have 1 year...so I'll see. :S
  8. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    MacBook Pro or GTFO
  9. mattehww

mattehww New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i had a 15inch before, but now 13mbp. i really dont see the benefits of the bigger screen. i'd prefer small and light, makes a big difference. remember macosx is just more efficient, 2gb is enough for almost all everyday tasks. i play cs:s natively in osx with crossover and it runs smooth and fast
  10. deaduck3

deaduck3 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    yeah i also looked into getting a pretty good windows computer for around $500ish, but i am soooo glad i spent the extra and paid $1000 for the mac. i know the memory and ram don't seem like tons compared to some other computers but in part its just cause the mac is more efficient and doesn't use up as much. i can be running 3 or 4 programs at a time (with the currently cheapest macbook) and hardly notice any lag. plus you will have snow leopard which is a bit quicker than leopard ( i just upgraded its awesome).

anyways go look around at other sites at what people are saying about this. i just can't stress enough how great the mac is. its so great that i don't think i will ever ever go back to windows again.

oh btw i always used a bigger screen than 13" but it serves me just fine. especially since there is the expose feature( lets you see all open programs at once) and there is a thing called spaces which basically gives you four screens that you can switch between.