Which shield/screen prot. should I get? Choices inside

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by digitalduck, Jun 8, 2009.

1. digitalduck

digitalduck Member

Hi guys…couple questions on screen protectors. What would be the best for games? I ask because I was in the apple store yesterday and saw the crystal one and the anti-glare. I saw an iphone that had the antiglare on it and the guy said it was thicker and prevents fingerprints etc, but what about its tacky-ness? I know the IS has a bit of a tackyness (just what ive heard) but I would want a shield that still lets your finger glide across it easily.

What shields/screens can you recommend? Also what about those shields from Speck etc that are more like a mirror when shut off? It’s a cool effect, but how does that interfere with the brightness and general look when its on?

Thanks for the reccomendations..
  2. noced

noced New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'd say no to the mirror protector. I'm using it and while it does look cool when the screen is off, and application/removal is a breeze, it's REALLY hard to see the screen when I'm in daylight especially as I'm paranoid about battery saving and I don't use maximum brightness (at most 70% and that's if I'm charging at the same time). Furthermore, before I go to bed, I like to lie in bed in the dark (I share a room) and play with my iTouch. At this point the mirror protector gives a weird glare and I see a dark ring-like spot on the screen that moves with my line of sight.

Mirror shields are just too reflective by nature. I'm only using it because I got it for free with the iTouch and I'm too lazy to go out and fit a better one.

I used to have a great protector with my previous iTouch, I don't even know what it's called, but it's like a plastic skin that really STICKS, and, like a skin, it covers the ENTIRE device (with holes in the right places of course). It's not a hard plastic case, it's really like a skin, a plastic transparent sticky skin. It was GREAT, doesn't take away any of the touch screen's sensitivity, and doesn't change how your eyes view the screen. Protection is average, but not as good than the mirror protector, and while application is still ok for an experienced person, removal was a b*tch (but still doable, you gotta get rid of the sticky bits that get left over on the back of the iTouch. Removal from the front of the iTouch was fine, just the back's problematic.)

I haven't experienced the crystal protector before, so I would go for anti-glare, mostly because during school term I'm often in sunlight, and screen-protector-glare is seriously off-putting.
  3. 432521

432521 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I agree, I had the mirror film and it was so annoying. If you want to give up functionality for looks then go right a head and get the mirror film. Like the person above me said once you go outside into the sun you won't be able to see anything. And when watching movies or playing games it gives off a stupid reflection. I had after christmas and I took it off a month ago, good thing there was a clear one underneath it so i just pealed off the mirror part and used the clear part of the screen protector. I am never going to make the mistake of buying a mirror film again.
  4. Zinnia

Zinnia New Member

My son just put the invisible SHIELD by ZAGG on his Ipod touch. It completely wraps around his Ipod touch. It took hours to dry and although it was easy enough to put on it was a pain. If it lasts well, he will be happy.
  5. Mokona

Mokona New Member

Which brand are you thinking of from the Apple store? I bought a crystal screen protector from the Apple store (can't remember the brand, but it was $15 and came in a thin cardboard package) and it was horrible! It was so cheap, really rigid, and did not stay on the screen very well at all.

I returned it and I ended up getting the one from "Best Skins Ever" for $10 after shipping and I love it. It was a little tougher to apply, but totally worth it. It sounds similar to the one noced is mentioning, kinda stretchy. My finger glides, it has great response, no fingerprints, and no distortion.