Which Programming Language to Learn?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by Danls92, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I've finally gotten to that point in the school year where I have a pretty good handle on getting the most work done with the minimum amount of effort and time, so I think it's about time to get around to learning a programming language.

In middle school I did the whole HTML thing (yes, I am well aware that it is not a programming language and has no relevance at all to real programming, just stating a fact), but considering I'm interested in pursuing a degree in Computer Sciene, I figure its about time to learn a real one.

Right now I'm leaning most towards Python. This isn't to program for the iPod Touch or anything, just in general. Does anybody have a reason why I shouldn't learn Python first, or any suggestions of another language to learn first?
  2. mmitt

mmitt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hm. Idk anything about it, but I learned Visual Basic. A bit. If not, try Python I guess.
  3. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    c++ is an easy start.
  4. mmitt

mmitt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I took a look at Python, and it looks tough... Seriously, try Visual Basic, very nice.
  5. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I've heard that Visual Basic teaches you some bad habits though...
  6. mmitt

mmitt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Idk. I'm 15 so I wouldn't be able to learn anything about Python anyway. In computer we started learning Alice. F****** hardcore. Ok if you just googled it, it is obviously not. But I'm probably not going to make anything but fake viruses lol. So not helpful to learn C++/Python.
  7. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
  8. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

Try C++ or Objective C, those are the most popular.

Btw, I'm gonna study computer science/engineering as well but I'm not really considering learning a programming language, specially when high school doesn't give you time.
  9. wibble

wibble New Member

You can take it from others and listen whatever they want to see. Or you can take the path illuminated in light and fraught with pain.

assembly and c

Why not python? You'll become dependent on everything that's written for you. Always calling system and library functions. If you know the basics (i.e conditionals, some oop, etc) then skip it and go to C. If you know nothing of programming, might as well.

edit with my .02c below

You probably don't get the point of Alice.

It does. Don't use it or anything else remotely related to .net
  10. manutdfan539

manutdfan539 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If it were me, I would go with Objective C, the App market is only growing, even if you have no intent at first, it can always help later on.

(As a matter of fact, I'm taking up Objective C)