Which mini microphone for Ipod Touch 2G?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by CRSharff, Mar 18, 2009.

1. CRSharff

CRSharff New Member

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if any of you guys have experience with any of these "mini" microphones? I am in the market for a small little microphone that I can use on my ipod touch as a VoiP phone and for apps like Shazam etc.

The two I was looking at is this one from usbfever.com http://usbfever.com/index_eproduct_view.php?products_id=662

I like this one because it has a cap which allows you to hook it to a necklace or keychain which is a pretty important feature since I won't always be using it.

The second on is the one from SwitchEasy, the Thumbtack.http://switcheasy.com/products/ThumbTacks/ThumbTacks.php#

I like this one because it is from a reputable company and they claim they designed a very high quality microphone for how tiny it is.

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with either of these and if you have I would appreciate some feedback regarding which one you bought or if you bought a completely different one.

Thank you
  2. AHN

AHN New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    dude thats awesome! never seen those before. i say go with the thumbtack, prob better quality
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    only downside is with a mic THAT small, i'd lose it in a heartbeat!
  3. touch_iPod

touch_iPod Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Now that thumbtack is really something cool and unique... But i gree with aznqbdrew10, it is very easy to lose that tiny gadget!

The one from USBfever.com is also quite a handy one to carry... I should seriously consider going for either one if they are available in the Malaysia market...

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. z.ee

z.ee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Won't these headphone socket microphones disable the output to the built-in speaker?
  5. chastabo

chastabo Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yes they will, I just got this, Griffin SmartTalk Headphone Adapter with Control and Mic.

Works and you plug your headphones into the mic. The only way you can hear with mic plugged in,
  6. mgiljum

mgiljum New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What about mics that connect at the dock? Are there any available? I don't even know if the 2G supports audio input at the dock...I know it doesn't support output.
  7. AHN

AHN New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    personally, i'd just go with the griffin smart talk, as i would not lose it. as easily

8. kleemajo

kleemajo New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I carry one of the griffin smart talks around with me everywhere. It is a pretty good mic (great quality with apps like iTalk) for its price and is pretty easily found. Mic + Fring + Full Wi-Fi coverage on a university campus and you are set

. With your devices, you will not be able to have sound output unless you mess with your ipod a fair bit so you are sacrificing your ability to use apps such as Fring...
  9. tlxxxsracer

tlxxxsracer New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The only thing I can see a problem with either of those mics would be them not fitting on some cases. You most likely would have to take the case off for it to fit. Just like the switcheasy cases

So take that into consideration. For me I would want something where I could still plug headphones into.
  10. Satrianez

Satrianez New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I got the mic from this video in black off ebay for under £3 from a UK seller (the £1.70 one in the video is from a Hong Kong seller and that's the starting bid... good luck).
    They allow you to use your own speakers/earphones/headphones and are really cheap (as in not expensive, not as in crap).
    The recording quality is superb. Tested with iTalk, QuickVoice and Shazam.
    It worked really well as with Skype through Nimbuzz.

Before that, I'd bought earphones with an inline mic from ebay but they didn't work on the 2G.
    A friend of mine bought earphones with an inline mic for the iphone that works great with his 2G, so if you're not getting the one from the video, stick to the ones designed for the iphone, I think they're a safer bet as far as compatibility with the 2G is concerned or just make sure it's been successfully tested on the 2G before buying (you can ask to try it before buying in some shops).
    Hope this helps.