which is better w/o jail.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ron24151, Dec 10, 2009.

1. ron24151

ron24151 New Member

Forgive the repeat of question..but here it goes..thanks

I want to get a touch 8g have a chance to get either a 2nd or 3rd gen both are brand new like to know which is better on the following

faster to play games

stable

and do they both have the same firmware

and w/ the update apple has now for the 2nd, does this bring it up to a 3rd gen

the 3rd has a landscape keyboard which i reall like does the update give this to the 2nd

that should be all for now and by the way i really like reading all the post, you can learn alot here thanks again

ron
  2. PieOPah

PieOPah Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    From my understanding, both devices are pretty much the same. They have the same firmware but there is different hardware. Whilst I haven't really looked into it, I think that the 3rd gen has a slightly faster processor and possibly more memory.

I may be wrong and I am sure that if I am somebody will correct me.

Either way, surely you would want the newer model. In general, newer models are better than the older.
  3. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    the hardware is the same in 2nd and 3rd gen 8gb... only difference is that they've updated the bootrom in the 3rd gen so you can only have a tethered jailbreak (currently) while the 2nd gen has been pwned for life.

If you want to jailbreak and/or the 2g is cheaper then get that.
    If you don't mind a tethered jailbreak or don't want to jailbreak and, if you can afford it, get a 32gb or 64gb 3rd gen as they have the new faster processor and double the RAM, similar to the iPhone 3GS.
  4. Alkemystical

Alkemystical New Member

3rd gen has a much faster processor and double the RAM than that of the 2nd gen. It also has a better GFX processor for better perfomance for gaming. I would highly recommend the 3rd gen 32 GB.
  5. PieOPah

PieOPah Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I think that the 3rd Gen also has Voice Control...
  6. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Only the 32/64gb models have a faster processor, more ram, and improved graphics, he's talking about the 8gb model.

No, it doesn't.
  7. ron24151

ron24151 New Member

just want some games and have it quick

so im just looking for the one that is faster and quicker on the basic things.. nothing jailed or anything one that is better stock

and it is for the 8g dont need nothing else so big
    ron

ps what is tethered?
  8. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Well, the 2G 8gb and 3G 8gb are the same in ram, processor, graphics, so they're basically the same. Tethered means, when you turn off your iPod, you'll need to, in a way, jailbreak it again to turn it back on.
  9. GarnetNGold

GarnetNGold Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    The way to jailbreak the 3rd gens is by connecting them to your pc/mac then downloading a running a program blackra1n.

Once you run blackra1n your Touch is jailbroken within seconds. It is a tethered jailbreak though. This means that every time you reboot your Touch (i barely do) you have to connect it to your computer and run Blackra1n to fully reboot it.
  10. 42395_skyline

42395_skyline Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    either get a 2G 8GB or a 3G 32GB. plus i heard the 3G 8GB is worse then the 2G because it has less battery life.