Which book first?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by itachi2121, Aug 21, 2010.

1. itachi2121

itachi2121 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi everybody! I just got two objective c/iPhone programming book: iPhone Application Programming All-in-one For Dummies and Programming in Objective-C 2.0 by Stephen G. Kochan. I was wondering which one should I read first? Which one will get me started right in to developing?
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Skip the first one, read the second one. You can't "get started right in to developing" without knowing Objective-C.
  3. malontop

malontop New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    You should learn objective-c first. The second book is pretty sweet. I am reading it and hadn't any problems to understand it yet.
  4. nikjerry

nikjerry New Member

Axis, I am also suggesting you the same. As according to me you should not waste your time to read the first one. As you should read the second one, and I just want to say you that its really that much easy to understand and up till I didn't get any one the problem with it.
  5. franzharare01

franzharare01 New Member

According to me you should learn both of them. You should take knowledge from both of the books and than you should go which you mean to easy for you. The other thing is that you should choose the best which is easy and providing the best services as if you are beginner, but I give you advice to read the second one but it depends on you.
  6. swisstony

swisstony New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi,

How effectively does the second book take you through the use of the Cocoa IDE?

Also, is it easy to access the Ipod Touch operating system routines (like keyboard, etc). I'm a software engineer by trade (20 years) but used Ada predominantly (writing software for areoplanes) and some C but not much.

I'm looking to do some real coding in C and write a few apps for myself (and others if they are useful).

Cheers

Tony
  7. lolmao

lolmao Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
  8. swisstony

swisstony New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    As a result of this thread i bought Objective-C 2.0 by Stephen G. Kochan. Its good.

The explanations at the start of the book about developing applications (chapter 2) is good but to continue 'REAL' software development needs a complete understanding of chapter 3.

After that ....

IF (you YOU DONT have a good understanding of general software constructs) THEN

read and learn chapters 4 to 13 (ish)

ELSE

read and do chapters 20 and 21

ENDIF;

The author has another website which I wont put up here as I dont want to breach any rules (its free but I DONT WANT TO GET BANNED) which is very informative.

IF SOMEONE SAYS I CAN DO THEN I'LL PUT THE WEBSITE ON THE FORUM.

swisstony