Where will you use the iPad?

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by NETEFX, Mar 16, 2010.

1. NETEFX

NETEFX New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Ever since the rumors started about an Apple tablet I had hopes and dreams of a powerful platform that could replace my MacBook or MacBook Pro. Like I said... i was dreaming. Flash forward...to present day and I have read the reviews, seen the keynote and I am just not sure where Apple expects me to use the iPad or how for that matter? I have an iPhone ... i use that every day of course...calls, contacts.... its small, it makes sense. I have an iPod...why? I don't want my kids to be playing with my iPhone

Please Register or Log in to view images

I use it to play movies through the car entertainment system...no scratching up my DVDs. I use the iPod when I am working out....don't want to drop my iPhone.... so .. an iPod makes sense. I have a MacBook...I uses this when I travel...and when I am away from my desk at work. I can quickly upload data, burn a DVD, send mail, you know all the normal stuff my MacPro does (well almost) in a small portable package. So....what will the iPad do for me? I am not sure it will do anything for me? I can put it on my coffee table and use it for surfing the net when I am too lazy to go get off the couch and grab my MacBook from the other room. Some how I see my kids sticky finger prints all over it and spilled juice and coffee dripping over the sides.

Well its a book reader...yikes...do I really need a device that runs on batteries to read a book...ok...if I read like 10 books a day...I could see that. Okay, its ability to read books to me....kind of cool but I can buy an audio book for the iPhone or iPod...so the entire book thing is well...not impressive to me.

I can watch movies on it? Hmm....watch movies on a regular TV screen or watch movies on a tiny screen...nope...not going to do that. Oh...I am supposed to take it with me....lol...no way...to big...thats what the iPhone does anyway...pocket sized movies on the go....if I need alot movies...the video iPod still rocks.

Okay...so this leaves...me with apps and communication....okay...since I get apps on the iPhone...scratch apps. So we are left with communication....how is it so much better or easier than a MacBook? Typing on a touch screen is...well...slow and prone to errors. Okay yes the iPad seems to have some neat integration with social media but is that really enough to make someone want to buy it?

Lastly we have the fact the iPad has no real ports, no ability to upgrade and you are currently stuck with AT&T if you want the 3G ( i hope for new carriers soon ). Oh wait...i have to pay a monthly fee for service too..on top of my iPhone? Have they lost their mind? What happened to tethering? This would be the perfect time for it.

So here is my question after you have read so much to get here. Who is going to use the iPad? What is the demographic? What specific purpose are people buying the iPad for? ( I know ... its an Apple and we want it because it's cool.) I want one for the sole reason to figure out how I would use it. Its the one Apple device I can't figure out why I need it.

Let me know your thoughts and how you plan to use it or not

2. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

Apple Store is the only place i'd use an iPad.
  3. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Some artists will use it.