Where should I start?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by deleted account 4, Feb 13, 2008.

1. deleted account 4

deleted account 4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yes, I have searched, but most other threads like this get taken over or posted with links that don't work. Anyway, I want to start learning how to develop or code and make apps and whatnot. I know that it's not all easy, but I just want to know where to get started. When it comes to programming, I have practically NO experience.. I need to know what to do first, like go to website or something. I hear a lot of stuff about C and C+ and jiggy, but I don't actually know what any of them do or are (I know that you can download jiggy off installer though

Please Register or Log in to view images

)

So anyway, I'm just asking for a link/tutorial to get me started. Thanks in advance!
  2. Loudmouth2332

Loudmouth2332 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ummm, ok where to start

I'm not a developer or anything but i mean, I can answer you basic questions. My recommendations though are if you don't even know what C, C++ or Java is, this might not be fore you man.

Basically all those are computer languages that you write programs in. In all seriousness, I would suggest start googling like "computer science" or "learn to program" or something. I'm pretty sure you are going to need a dev kit for these languages if you want to start writing in them as well.

If you happen to be in college, why not sign up for or audit a computer science class. That might help.
  3. dudemanbra123

dudemanbra123 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I understand how to program in C#, and could probably adapt to any other language similar or not, but I have no idea where to start the actual programming of stuff for the iTouch. Any help?
  4. deleted account 4

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    loudmouth, as unspecific as that is, that's what I'm doing now. I guess after I get familiar with some stuff, that's when I can ask for some more detailed stuff. So... in a way, thanks
  5. stmkjp

stmkjp New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If u wanna know about developing iphone/iPoT native apps, u can start here: http://idevdocs.com

But basically, developing iPoT app needs knowledge for Objective-C which is commonly used for developing mac apps.

So, I recommend you to start from here: http://www.cocoadev.com/ or here: http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/index.html

there you can get information for developing apps using cocoa on mac os.
    (If you're not a mac os user, then you'd better begin with C/C++ or Java.
    There's bunch of sites or books teaching those languages.)

After you have enough knowledge to proceed, go to the http://idevdocs.com
    and prepare yourself developing iPhone apps.

----------------------------------------
    But dude, believe me. it's absolutely ok to start with any programming language/tools.

Just don't be afraid to start cuz those languages won't bite you.

I promise you can see a lot more things after you begin.
  6. dudemanbra123

dudemanbra123 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Would this VMware Image thing posted today be a step in the right direction for programming ipot apps or not?
  7. deleted account 4

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thank you VERY much stmkjp! This is pretty much exactly what I need. I have both a mac and a PC, but I perfer my mac and this will make it a bit more comfortable. Thanks again for the links and all

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. stmkjp

stmkjp New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    dudemanbra123, If you're talkin' bout toolchain pre-installed image, then YES.
    I didn't actually read the article, but i guess it's for windows users.
    You can develop iPoT apps on cygwin environment using toolchain.
    ***Edit: I read the post, the image is for debian linux. I'm afraid that's not usable for window users.
    instead of that, try http://wiki.iphonegameover.com/Windows_Cygwin_Binary_Toolchain_Installation there you can find how to install cygwin and toolchain on windows.*****
    yeah, you know C#, then it's not difficult to understand Objective-C.

Good luck!

9. stmkjp

stmkjp New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Good luck to you, iCan_C_you_like_a_sponge!

10. UncleChuckle

UncleChuckle New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    There's a piece of software I desperately want on the iPod Touch, but posts and requests about it have gone completely unanswered. Lots of source code is available. How hard would it be to port a piece of software for someone who has very VERY little experience programming? As it's my personal killer app, and there appears to be nobody working on a version of it.