Where Has Your Heart Gone>?`

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by davebarrie, Jul 14, 2008.

1. davebarrie

davebarrie New Member

I miss the spirit of the Touch homebrew community. Before the app store, no one was making pay apps, it was beautiful;

download/try what u wish, donate what u can.

Just because apple has made it easy for us the users to give YOU (+apple) cash on purchase, doesn't mean we (the community) should embrace it.
    I expected to see most of the crap people are charging for, and i expected a bunch of smb quality games for purchase, but when i see the same developers who asked for donations when on installer - slapping price tags on their work via the app store.... it makes me really sad.

So think about it. Is a donation system really out of the question, just because apple has taken over Installer?

Your thoughts are appreciated
  2. darc10222

darc10222 Banned

I think the fact that developers had to pay $99 just to get there apps INTO the store justifies putting price tags on their work, not to mention that applications like Sketches have gotten much better since their jailbreak release.
  3. ajkiwi88

ajkiwi88 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yeah i think its because developers have to pay $99 to get their apps into the app store plus its also human greed (not aimed at anyone) its like wow i can get some money for this lets sell it, some developers are right for doing it some aint but hey the world moves on and then we jailbreak 2.0 lol
  4. newdude

newdude New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah they had to pay I guess.

But then again, you're right. It is kinda sad though.
  5. technoman

technoman New Member

but i still belive that the jailbreakin gave us more freedom to do wat eva v wanted ...nd now payin for these ppayin for these apps ..half of the people wouldnt even buy apps...
  6. newdude

newdude New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You got that right dude.

Even if I wanted to buy, I can't. I don't have a credit card. and I don't live in the US.

Apple didn't really say " Hey you, you want an Ipod? Go get yourself a credit card first you ambitious little man you." or was it written on the box that "must have credit card to enjoy" kinda warning or disclaimer.

I can ask relatives from other countries to send me an Itunes gift card, but no. can only be used in the country it was purchased in. well son of a b.....

I wanted to buy songs from Itunes, but if i ask someone to send me itunes gift card thru email, im concerned that it may not work, and be a waste of money.

Dev teams and people trying to jailbreak, and doing it for free and just for the passion of it has my respect more than Apple can get from me.

To me Apple is just a store. they wanted it that way anyway.
  7. akki007

akki007 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Would you work for free? I certainly wouldn't slog my guts away only to be told at the end of the week..."Thanks for the hard work, we understand you work on donations only...we're not going to donate this week."

I say go for it to the people who are creating innovative apps for the touch. Charge what you see fit, enjoy yourself, you earned it!
  8. davebarrie

davebarrie New Member

As in any homebrew community, the work that goes on here is a work of passion. I fear that the app store has started a trend away from works of passion, towards works of monetary gain. Touch homebrew was never a source of income for the developers, and that's exactly what made the community flourish as greatly and quickly as it did.
  9. darc10222

darc10222 Banned

Finally, this is everything I (and other anti application pirates) have been thinking summed up in one example. Would you work hard on something for a huge community of people, putting lots of time and effort into it, just to find out you will be payed absolutely nothing?
  10. Lazrhog

Lazrhog New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    given the number of donations for neverball is now a total of 10, is it really any wonder that devs are abandoning the donation system. It plainly isn't working.

I commend the decency of those who did donate. Many thanks.