where can i download the necessary drivers for my ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sakunoel, May 31, 2009.

1. sakunoel

sakunoel New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    recently my computer has been refusing to charge my ipod touch. i have itunes installed, but every time i plug it into any usb port the notification reads ÜSB Device not recognized" and under the troubleshoot it says that no drivers are installed for this device. every website that i find offering Ïpod touch drivers"turns out to be a scam website that you have to sign up and pay for, so where can i download the drivers?

thanks for any help

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. As far as i'm aware no such thing as drivers. You can uninstall the iPod in device manager. But that's about it I think.
  3. thomasevz

thomasevz Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If your on Windows

iPod touch requires two important pieces of software to operate properly on Windows. First, the driver must be installed; for iPod touch the driver is USBAAPL.SYS. Second, Apple Mobile Device Support must be installed as a Windows Service. If these are not installed, reinstall iTunes.

Verify that the driver is installed by connecting iPod touch to the computer and following these steps:

1. On the Start menu, click Run.
    2. In the Open field, type devmgmt.msc and click OK. A list of devices will be displayed.
    3. Scroll down to Universal Serial Bus controllers and click the small plus sign to expand this group. iPod touch will be listed as either Apple iPod touch or Apple Mobile Device depending on the version of the driver installed.
    4. Right-click Apple iPod touch (or Apple Mobile Device) and choose Properties from the shortcut menu.
    5. When the Properties window opens, select the Driver tab.
    6. Click Driver Details to view more information.

Verify that the Apple Mobile Device Service is installed and running using the Services MMC snap-in using these steps:

2. In the Open field, type services.msc and click OK. A list of devices will be displayed.
    3. View the list In alphabetical order and verify that the "Apple Mobile Device Service" status is "Started."

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. If the status does not indicate the service is started, right-click Apple Mobile Device Service and choose Start from the shortcut menu.
    5. If the service is installed and started, right-click the service and choose Restart from the shortcut menu.

If the driver is installed and the service is installed and started, check the Event Viewer for error messages.

2. In the Open field, type eventvwr.msc and click OK.
    source - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1852
  4. DexLuther

DexLuther New Member

Is there a way/anywhere I can get the drivers WITHOUT having to install itunes. I hate itunes. It's slow and messes up a lot of other stuff on my computer (like Winamp, and MPC have no sound). It also automatically installs Quicktime, which I also hate.

I'm running a un-to-date version of Windows XP SP3. I've got alternate software for syncing my ipod (copy trans and new version of winamp), which works perfectly while itunes is installed because the drivers are present, but when I uninstall itunes to get Winamp and MPC working again the drivers seem to be uninstalled as well. In the end I have to restore my computer to an earlier state because even with itunes gone winamp and MPC are still messed up.

All I want is to be able to put music on my Ipod touch without needing the crappy itunes to be installed.