Where are the ads?

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by bgizzle, Jul 15, 2009.

1. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    In an effort to improve the user experience for our loyal members, I'm running a temporary experiment to see how disabling ads for members affects the revenues.

As you know, iPod touch Fans prides itself on offering full access completely free, but our high traffic levels incur sizable monthly bandwidth, server lease, and software licensing costs, as well as software development costs. To date, we have depended completely on advertising revenue to fund all of our activities, and I would like to continue having the site completely advertising-supported.

What does this mean? One of the following:
    - If disabling some of the ads for our members does not significantly impact our income, then we will leave them off for members.
    - If it is catastrophic, we'll re-enable them. If people really get used to no ads showing up, and would like to keep that privilege, we may offer some sort of subscription that will remove ads and offer other perks like a larger PM inbox etc. This is only if we must, but I would prefer to avoid that.

Edit: Any constructive feedback would be appreciated.

Edit2:
    FAQS:
    Q: Is this only for members?
    A: Yes, guests still see all the ads

Q: Why is the sidebar missing?
    A: This is a temporary experiment and I haven't fully ported stuff over. This will only run for a few days before I make a decision, so meanwhile the sidebar functionality is off.

Q: How long will this last?
    A: A few days

Edit 3:

Q: Why even risk it? Won't you lose too much money?
    A: Online advertising is not so simple. Users that see ads very many times without clicking on them actually may detract from the earning power of a site, because they lower the click-through-rate statistics for the site as a whole. Logged in members typically browse hundreds of pages per visit but never click on ads. For this reason, ad revenue may very well stay the same or (very unlikely) even rise as a result of disabling the ads.

Edit 4: I DON'T CARE IF YOU USE ADBLOCK, BUT PLEASE STOP DISCUSSING IT. It's incredibly obnoxious that people are replying to a thread where I talk about how the site is fully advertising-supported by discussing Adblock. If everyone were to use it, the site would either no longer be free to access, or would be gone.
  2. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thanks BGizzle.
  3. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Hmm.. Interesting. Hopefully everything works out.

Please Register or Log in to view images

EDIT:

So does this mean you show ads to Guests? If so, that is brilliant, considering there are often a lot of more Guests than Registered Users. You keep ad revenue for people that haven't registered, encourage people to register to reduce ad "exposure"

... That's great.

EDIT 2: The ads weren't a major issue of mine, but Fewer Ads > More Ads, as long as revenue doesn't take a hit, as you said.
  4. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I must say, I do like the posts expanded across the screen.
  5. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You should just keep the ads on. It's not that bad. I don't even notice them.
  6. Claybox

Claybox Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    it looks really weird now with no ads to the sides and just grey,though i like it better
  7. wereguy2

wereguy2 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I dont really mind the ads.
  8. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The site ads always caused some mild browser lag for me so I'll be interested to see how this experiment pans out.
  9. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I think maybe some different placement should be tested too, you need some money

Maybe on the right here (Make the black area a little taller)

And at the right here (In the white area).

Also to note, removing the sidebar removed the current username and Private Messages link box thing.
  10. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I noticed the username thing was gone.

You could also squeeze in an ad at the bottom, like stephen said.