Where are the $20 Apps stored? I want to back them up before force restoring.

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by tsice19, Jan 17, 2008.

1. tsice19

tsice19 New Member

I would like to force restore my iPod to get all the jailbreak stuff off from before I upgraded to 1.1.3. It's taking up too much space. How do I backup the software upgrade so that I can get everything back once I'm done force restoring? I paid $20, wouldn't want to lost it, ya know?
  2. Jodymitoma

Jodymitoma New Member

Someone else on the macrumors forum said that it doesn't remove your apps... It remembers that you bought them somehow... (probably through iTunes).

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. fr0z3nic3

fr0z3nic3 New Member

Supposedly, a file called Nikita.. People like ipodtouchmaster and NuCLEaR are trying to decrypt the HASH on it to open it..
  4. tsice19

tsice19 New Member

guys I just figured it out. read my other topic I started.
  5. benw

benw New Member

No, I'm quite sure that they aren't stored in the nikita file. Instead there stored are the root directory of the iPod, which unfortunately, can't be acessed with TotalCommander/SSH'ing/FTP'ing into the device. People are trying to figure out how to access the root directory, because, as of now, all we can view is the media directory.
  6. pluto198

pluto198 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The apps are included with the free firmware update. You're paying $20 for a 9KB file that makes them visible on your iPod.

The file is downloaded to (on Mac OS X):
    ~/Library/iTunes/Mobile Applications/iPod touch App Pack 4A93.ipa

That is the file you want to back up.
  7. tsice19

tsice19 New Member

The question is how do I summon that file on a free 1.1.3 touch and (2) if that is the file how come its not being pirated like crap?!?!
  8. kitren2

kitren2 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    its called mobile applications. ill upload the apps, but there encrypted with ifanaddics data so you can't use them.
  9. pluto198

pluto198 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    For the same reason music and videos purchased from the iTunes Store are not being pirated like crap. Because the purchaser's account info is embedded in the file, and the computer needs to be authorized by typing the account username and password in order to use the files.

Here's your next question: "Why don't we create a new account whose sole purpose is to buy the apps and distribute that account user/pass along with the App Pack?" Because you can only have 5 computers authorized with a single account. So while this may work, it would only work for 5 people.