When will it be possible to jailbreak AND update without restoring?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by bigmoew, Aug 22, 2008.

1. bigmoew

bigmoew New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Been wondering about this for awhile. QuickPwn can jailbreak an OS without restoring, but I've been wondering if its possible to jailbreak and upgrade the OS without restoring. I hate having to download all my music (10gigs) from my ipod, then restoring, updating, jailbreaking and then put all my music back. Is this an actual possibility or are the OS's so dependent on a restore that this method would be impossible? Any thoughts?
  2. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

Impossible. Updating erases all music, etc.
  3. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I don't get it. I just updated my iPhone to 2.0.2, didn't lose any of my music, then used QuickPwn to jailbreak it. Isn't that what you want?
    ------------------double post merged------------------

Updating doesn't erase all music, restoring does. When you use the Apple "update" feature it keeps everything.
  4. bigmoew

bigmoew New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    But If I had an unjb'd 2.0.1 and updated through itunes to 2.0.2, I'd still have all my music, etc.

But was your ipod jailbroken BEFORE you updated? I'm talking about a jb 2.0.1. being updated to either a jb 2.0.2 or an unjb 2.0.2 used with Quickpwn; both situations leaving the music intact after updating.
  5. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

Yes. My iPhone was jailbroken on 2.0.1, I then just used Apple's update to 2.0.2, which just makes my jailbreak go away. I then used QuickPwn to jailbreak it again. All the while I never lost any of my music.
  6. bigmoew

bigmoew New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    oh shi-
  7. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

Please Register or Log in to view images

Always try it first! You don't have to restore before applying an Apple update, all the apple update will do it break your jailbreak, but the iPod/iPhone will be fine. Worst that could happen if it didn't work is you'd have to restore after the fact. Before QuickPwn came out I was always having to restore too, now that QuickPwn is available it's great, no more re-syncing 10 Gb of music each time!
  8. cometobuy

cometobuy New Member

WTF ?! are you serious, i can do update and not restore and it wont delete alkl my music ? what will happen if ill do shift+update ?
  9. KevinX

KevinX New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I've done the same. I had a jailbroken 2.0.1 and upgraded to 2.0.2 and jailbroke with Quickpwn and my music was still there. And also the MxTube Videos are still here.
  10. bigmoew

bigmoew New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Just wanna let everyone know that this worked perfectly, I updated my jb 2.0.1 to an unjb 2.0.2 and then jailbroke with quickpwn without my music/settings/etc being deleted.