iOS 3.1 When Will Apple Stop?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Mr.Funman, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Mr.Funman

Mr.Funman Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    When Do You think that apple will stop making firmwares for the iPhone and the iPod Touch ??? (i think they will stop at 4.2.1)
  2. Tommm

Tommm Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    They will never stop.

There will always be devices to keep up with new technology (EG. 4G networks in 2010 and 2011). And changes to the hardware mean changes to the firmware will have to be made for the hardware to work.

Plus there's plenty of stuff missing from the OS still.
  3. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It will get to a point far in the future when it becomes outdated, and updates will stop coming, or only come once a year or something.
  4. kal1ch

kal1ch New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    When it becomes outdated they'll release a new updated version. Simple as that.

And what a stupid question. iPhone OS will stop when Apple stops manufacturing iPhones. It's as simple as that.
  5. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I got an update for my ipod video not to long ago and that's a few years outdated. At the very least you'll get updates to make it play nice with newer itunes.

They'll keep updating them, but, hold back a new software feature here and there until eventually your ipod somehow seems outdated. Even though hardware wise it's still pretty much the same as the new shiny one give or take a few Mhz and/or HD space.

Just like my ipod video. Its basically the same as an ipod classic. Just less HD space. Yet apple still refuses to update my pore video with the same shiny UI as the classic. Even though its perfectly capable of running it and it was hacked onto my video a few weeks after the classic came out. Yet I still get updates to make it work with itunes.

Just like my 1st gen iPhone somehow can't (according to Apple) record video or send MMS even though I've been doing both with my 1st gen iPhone long before I got a 3G.

So, yes you'll always get an update from apple, but, just enough of an update to keep you using it and just enough to keep you slightly jealous of you friends new shiny iwhatever. Even though they both do basically the same things, minus whatever new stuff apple held back from you even though its capable of doing the same things.

/rant
  6. The_OneDa

The_OneDa New Member

They can't stop & won't stop, there will always be competition & if Apple wants to stay on top they have to keep bringing updates. Also, when the hardware changes the software has to change to. Where you get 4.2.1 from? lol
  7. Xhiea

Xhiea Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    updates will stop for a device when it can no longer support the firmware update due to hardware being outdated. but that doesnt mean they will stop releasing updates for the newer ipods/iphones, they will just stop updating the old ones.
  8. iPhondTouch3G

iPhondTouch3G Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    they might stop making 1G firmwares soon. also, after the iphone, will come the iPWNPhone, which will have iPWNPhone OS 1.0 ( very beast version of iphone 7.2)
  9. apples7

apples7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    i seen the future and in it instead of iphones theirs Uphones
  10. Fishy

Fishy Member

Device:
    iPad
    Dumb answer, iWhatever is there signature, small i then whatever after that.