When saving photos from safari they are blurry in the photo album

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cohen9876, Sep 30, 2008.

1. cohen9876

cohen9876 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ???helpppp
  2. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

They are saved at the resolution Safari views them from. You also need to be more descriptive in your threads.

helpppzppzppzpzp1!!/!/111111111

is not going to solicit many answers.
  3. cohen9876

cohen9876 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    so that's also gonna stay the same
  4. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    i noticed this last night.
  5. bizzyb0t

bizzyb0t New Member

A workaround for this problem.

I found this HIGHLY annoying. Apparently Apple is enforcing some sort of DRM scheme so that you'll want to buy photos from iTunes.

When I noticed that Safari saved the photos I downloaded through the browser at what appeared to be a very low res copy, I was really annoyed. This is no doubt something that Apple has done so that you have a hard time getting nice photos onto your iPod Touch. Even photos synced from within iPhoto (on the Mac) are resized and bloated in size and also have a horrible reticulation plastered all over them. Again, DRM City.

Well, anyway, if you download a pic through Safari and save it, it looks absolutely horrible yes? And the first couple times, I deleted it. Then I was curious about it so I wanted to e-mail myself a copy-- still looks like crap when I downloaded it from my e-mail on the computer.

Then I downloaded a program from the App Store called "Scribble". It's just a tiny doodling app. It has a feature where you can doodle onto your pics and save the it. Well, I was going through my Saved Photos folder and saw a pic that I had downloaded via Safari and it loaded up into Scribble, clear as day. I didn't edit it, I just saved it from within Scribble and it saved a BETTER quality copy than Safari did!! WTF? Well, even though it's not been documented, I'm pretty sure that the higher res-copy is still in the iPod Touch, it's just displayed with horrible compression to discourage people from using Safari and the internet for getting pics. However, when you load it up in Scribble, it reads the file as it is in memory and bypasses the DRM scheme and when it's saved, the DRM "token" in the photo's info is stripped and so your Photo App displays it as-is without the crippling DRM filter.

Hope this helps.

tl;dr I just download with Safari, then open in Scribble, then save from Scribble and delete the DRM-blurred Safari copy.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Apizao118

Apizao118 New Member

Hey Man, that's a nice find... AWESOME
  7. 1adam1

1adam1 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i doubt its drm, that doesnt seem like apple to me. steve even said himself hes trying to move away from it. plus you cant buy pictures with itunes anyway.
  8. bizzyb0t

bizzyb0t New Member

Well, if you have ever opened the Photo App with no photos, it tells you that you can purchase photos from iTunes. So, even if they never implemented a photo purchasing system for iTunes, it's really quite possible that it's vestiges are still in the code. People have been dealing with this issue for over a year now and Apple hasn't done a single thing to rectify the problem. Whatever their reasoning is, it's most definitely something they have coded purposefully.

Even if it's not DRM specifically, it's gimping the full functionality of the device in a manner that affects the quality of content on the device. If Steve wanted to move away from DRM, then why not open the app store to software that improves upon, while duplicating, proprietary software made by Apple?

My point is, there's definitely something in the coding of Safari and the Photo App that purposefully degrades the quality of the photos saved directly from the web. We all know that if you upload a photo using Air Share for instance that the iPod Touch has no trouble handling high resolution images. And since iTunes degrades quality while almost almost doubling file sizes of images that are synced to the iPod Touch, "optimizing for space" is not the reason. Images are degraded and noise is added, even if the file size of the image is less than 40kb and is the exact resolution of the screen. Furthermore, since Apple has ignored the complaints about this that has been submmitted to them, from a year ago, one can only assume that the functionality is working as designed and Apple has no desire to see it changed. A simple option to opt out of "optimizing images" is all it would take.

If you don't believe me that that iTunes adds noise and bloats file sizes, see this thread on the Apple forums.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1554646&start=0&tstart=0
  9. cohen9876

cohen9876 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    wowww it works perfectt thank you so much
  10. Totally 1337

Totally 1337 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    You either saved a REALLY SMALL picture or you just wait a little while until the picture loads properly.

Be more patient.