When did Apple first start advertising the iPod Touch 3g?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dd_ny, Jun 22, 2010.

1. dd_ny

dd_ny New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I'm not asking for the release date, I'm asking when they first revealed that it even existed. I'm trying to figure out when to expect them to reveal the next generation of iPod Touches because I'll be getting one.
  2. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    2nd week of September. Like they do every year.
  3. dd_ny

dd_ny New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You mean they start advertising them the same week they sell them? They don't try to tell people the features a few weeks before the release date?
  4. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Apple holds a "Music" event around that time (last years was the 9th Sept IIRC). That is when they would announce a new iPod (if they do release a new one). Personally, I can't see much more they can reasonably add to the new version over the current 3rd Gen...
  5. NitroBum

NitroBum Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Camera, FM radio...
  6. dd_ny

dd_ny New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Are you kidding me? There's tons of room for improvement. They could add a camera, regular radio or HD radio, more gigs, better battery life, oil resistant screen, internal mic, etc. etc.

ADD:
    Oh yeah, and they could get rid of that STUPID chromelike backing that's so quick to scratch. My first iPod was kept in a plastic case which scuffed it. My second and current was kept in a leather case the entire time I had it, and it STILL managed to get scratched somehow! WTF
  7. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

I was talking major feature updates...bigger capacity drives, batteries etc are more general, and will always come as technology increases...another xxGB storage isn't really that impressive when you consider you can get 32gb in a freaking SD card.

As i've said dozens of times before on here, there is no need to have a camera on an iPod touch. If you own an iPod, you will most own/carry with you a mobile phone. Most phones made in the past 4-5 years have a higher res camera than the 3gS, and most in the past 1-2 years have better than even the new iPhone 4.

FM radio would be ok i guess, but its hardly a major advancement. I had a radio adaptor for my first ever ipod years ago. Also, as the current gen iPods reportedly already have a radio chip in them...not really even an update.

Mic cold be useful, but is unlikely to happen. Apple aren't going to want iPod touch users to emulate the iPhone (with VoIP) that easily.

People need to realise that in terms of mobile devices, the iPhone is Apples priority. The iPod is more of a back-burner. Apple aren't going to risk transfering sales away from their £500 iPhone to a £150 iPod are they? Especially not so some kid can take pictures of himself or listen to local radio.

One feature which would be useful would be a GPS chip...but again, Apple won't add that as it is an important feature of the iPhone.
  8. dd_ny

dd_ny New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Just because those things aren't important to YOU doesn't mean OTHERS won't want it. And it also doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. There's plenty of things that can be added. It's just a fact of whether Apple will decide to do so or not.

I personally do not have a cell phone, so I'd love a camera on my iPod Touch.
  9. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Its not that they aren't *important* to me, it that it wouldn't make business sense for apple to add them.

And when it comes down to it, remember the iPod is/has always been a music centred device. Apart from the obvious speed/capacity upgrades, the iPod probably already does more than the average user would expect it to. If people want it to do more, i think they're gunna have to spring the extra and get an iPhone...
  10. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

The problem with throwing a camera on an iPod Touch, versus a Nano, is that the former directly competes with the iPhone, which is Apple's main focus in the iDevice family. They add a camera to it, and they're cannibalizing sales from the (more) profitable iPhone which has an ongoing contract commitment/kickback from a cell phone carrier, since at that point the only difference between the two being that one doesn't have a 3G radio. Plus, this is the same Apple which saw the iPod Touch as being 'low' enough (aka: music-centred) to not even include the calculator and calendar apps that they had with the iPhone which they released just before it, using similar hardware.

They're more likely to change the screen to be like the iPhone4's higher-res screen than a camera, or maybe they may re-release the 3G with higher-capacity solid-state drives for the same price.