What's wrong with a scratch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ferr, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Ferr

Ferr New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I'm wondering: Why do people worry about scratches? I understand if they want to get a case for their iPod because they are prone to dropping the device, and like the extra protection. But, to prevent scratches? To me, having the aesthetics of a paper thin iPod and Apple's design far outweigh the added ugly factor of putting on protectors, shields, armor.

I find cases and screen protectors to be far uglier than a few (or even many!) scratches. In many cases, the devices from my friends have been far more scratched by the cases themselves. All you need is one speck of silicate getting caught in the not-so-airtight fitting, then you're going to have it rolling and rubbing around between the polished aluminum and the case's plastic/metal/rubber for years, making the scratches far worse. I just keep mine in a cloth I found in some discarded luggage at an airport. I've had my 1st gen for years without issue. It has a few scratches, but it doesn't really detract from the design as a whole.

This is not meant as a rant. I'm genuinely interested to hear the opinions of people who have purchased screen protectors and cases for scratch protection.

For those who purchase them for drop protection, move along! I get where you're coming from, there.
  2. ShinyPants

ShinyPants New Member

The screen protector actually makes it impossible to see the scratches on my iPod.
  3. mkm159

mkm159 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    so wait, you are saying you would rather have a scratched device than a protected device? interesting. i have an invisible shield on mine and i do believe it makes the iPod even more beautiful. i mean, not only does it protect from scratches, because it is tight on the ipod, with no way of anything getting through, but it also looks nice on the ipod.
    and the feel of a screen protector is nice as well. an i love the way the back feels. so smooth and lovely.

i was like you though. i never used to like screen protectors, then when I bought a Zagg, everything changed. Zagg's products are good. the protector that came with one of my cases cannot even compare.
  4. Serious ? Without a case they feel.. i don't know weird, i always seem to get a better grip with a case on, i would rather that, and they look different. When they get older the scratches on the back get worse and the back fades and it looks so cheap imo.

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Ferr

Ferr New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    For me, a scratched device (with what little scratches I actually get... maybe 10-20 really tiny ones a year on the back, about 1 every 2 years on the screen, also barely noticeable, looks far better than any of the protected shields that I have seen. The main beef I have is the change of texture. While there are a few scratches on an unprotected device, I just love how smooth the screen looks overall, as well as how smooth the back looks. I also like how both feel under my fingers.

If it's scratched, what's the big deal? Unless it's a total disaster of a scratched up thing (like I see in some instances) I don't see how it detracts from the aesthetics. Even in the worst case scenario of scratches, I don't see any detraction in functionality.

I had a friend with an invisible shield, and I used his for a bit, but it still just didn't give off that same appeal, the way it reflected the light overall. The smooth surfaces became slightly bumpy, due to the difficulty in manufacturing an even thickness on elastic polymer materials (basically, anything where Poisson's ratio holds true, the subtle stretching of putting on the invisible shield results in slight thickness changes which become noticeable under the light). Over time, his invisible shield caught dirt under the edges, which ended up causing the whole thing to start peeling off.

I wish I had an ipod with an invisible shield right now, so I could explain what I'm getting at.

In short: Maybe my aversion to cases and shields and armor stems from how shape matters more to me than texture.
  6. Ferr

Ferr New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I have fairly dainty hands for a guy, so maybe this explains how I don't understand the gripping statement you're making. I've never had trouble gripping any of my ipods, and the newer one feels even better in my hands to me. It's precisely the smooth surface that makes it so easy for me to grip, because the oil from the skin creates a nice adhesion.

I will say, however, that I do wish that the ipod lineup would get rid of the reflective backing. It's beautiful, but is a fingerprint magnet. I would prefer a matte finish (I know about the mods people have done with brushing their own), but still feel that the flaws of the polished back still outweigh the inherent flaws I see in protective cases.
  7. b777forever

b777forever Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone
    What's wrong with a scratch?

Nothing at all.
  8. mkm159

mkm159 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    i would quote you, but that is one long post haha
    but i get what you are saying. a lot of people prefer the iPod completely naked.
    i love it too, but I get really OCD and nervous about scratches. I dont know why. I like my device to be scratchless so I have the invisible shield.
    The back is a scratch magnet and I really do not want any scratches on the back.

I do not know if i want a case because i really like the iPod with just an invisible shield. feels better without a case, to me anyways.

this is such an interesting thread.
  9. lolmao

lolmao Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    they ruin the look of the ipod
  10. Ferr

Ferr New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Of all the cases out there, the invisible shield is the closest thing I would get.

My overall preference would be for the Apple to get rid of all the shiny bits in the first place, except for the screen, which is so darned hard to get significantly scratched (1 less than hair thickness scratch in 3 years for my 1st gen).

I am curious, however, at Apple's recent purchase of the company Liquidmetal. I can see, in the foreseeable future, Apple replacing the aluminum backs with the amorphous metal in which Liquidmetal specializes. Then, we'll be seeing backs that are just as hard (likely harder) to scratch as the screen itself. I encourage people to look up the significance of amorphous metal. It's an amazing emerging field of materials science.