What's the point of "Digital Copies" on DVD?

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by thespaz, Apr 15, 2008.

1. thespaz

thespaz New Member

I just bought Juno on DVD today and it was the Special Edition version that comes with a digital copy. Here are some facts about it:

The movie comes with 2 DVD's one has the actual DVD movie on it and one has ONLY a SCRIPT to launch iTunes.

Once you open iTunes, you are taken to the iTunes Music Store and presented with a field where you must enter your unique DVD confirmation code (to prove you bought the DVD).

Then you must DOWNLOAD the digital copy from iTunes (actual DVD disk has nothing on it but the launch iTunes script).

Once you've downloaded the movie, you'll notice that it is protected with your name and iTunes email address.

I have some questions about this:

1. Why do they print a whole separate DVD for the little 400k launch iTunes script on it? It seems like a HUGE waste.

2. The movies not even on the disc, you have to have an internet connection to even download it

3. It will NOT play on older iPods because the resolution is too high (it does not state this anywhere on the box... it says any iPod that can play video).

4. I can get the same exact digital copy by ripping the movie with Handbrake, so why would I even need the protected digital copy anyway?

It all just seems like a big waste. I mean, they could have printed on the box to go to iTunes and enter the code that's in the box. They could treat it like a coupon so that only 1 copy can be downloaded per code.
  2. osi umenyoria

osi umenyoria New Member

amen brother
  3. weirdwilli

weirdwilli New Member

Device:
    iPhone
  4. thespaz

thespaz New Member

Update: It turns out that the file is in fact on the DVD and it's 1.1GB in size. I found it by using the terminal and doing "ls -a" ... The FeatureMovie file is an unknown format and I cannot open it in anything (even by changing the extension) so it's probably encrypted or something. Oh well, it's still pretty pointless because I can rip the DVD myself with Handbrake and have no protection on it.
  5. Aristarchos

Aristarchos Banned

so you dont steal
  6. UncleChuckle

UncleChuckle New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Copyright violation != Stealing, despite what the RIAA, MPAA etc... would like to have you believe. Just because a bunch of assholes in suits say something doesn't make it true.

And if you own the DVD, it's fair use anyway.

So shut up with this stealing bollocks.