What's the best way to watch movies/videos together, online, with friends?

Discussion in 'Music, Movies, TV, and Videos' started by jpveedubs, Feb 21, 2012.

1. jpveedubs

jpveedubs Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Some friends and I gather together every Wednesday night to watch a movie or a TV show (whatever I happen to have on DVD/Blu-Ray, or they want to bring/rent, really) for the evening (right now, we're catching my girlfriend and somebody's cousin up on Doctor Who episodes

Please Register or Log in to view images

).

I was recently given a job offer out-of-state, however, and if all goes well during my interview next week, I could be gone about three weeks from now. This means no movie-night...or does it?

I have a friend who occasionally watches movies online with friends with a service called "Livestream" (he just told me about it, so I have yet to really check it out, yet). I have used UStream for stuff before, so I checked that out, first, and got it to work all right, but it had some problems that took away from the movie-watching experience; namely, if you wanted to chat, you could only do it via a text-based interface (just as well, though; half a dozen voices over a video would be pretty distracting, to say the least), and you could only actually SEE the chat window if the video was reduced to about the size of an in-browser YouTube video (actually, a bit smaller, I think). It seems like my best bet so far, though.

Anyway, I'm hoping for the best, and I can only imagine it's out there, somewhere. I'm even willing to pay a reasonable amount of money for it, too. But, here's what I'm hoping for:

- Can play videos off of DVDs, or from my hard drive (probably the easiest way; I mean, at worst, I suppose I could rip the DVD video to a file if I can't show/watch it from DVD directly)
    - Voice chat enabled (hopefully with options, such as muting oneself or a certain person client-side, or "mute during video play", or something)
    - Client-side pausing (I mean, it'd be a slight pain to - for example - every time someone wanted to use the bathroom, say, ask to have it paused in text-chat, or something. Just a little, but this option'd be nice)
    - Text chat overlay? (unlikely option, but it'd be neat to have this THERE, at least, so we could text-chat while the video is in full-screen or something)
    - AirPlay/Apple TV-enabled (this is something I'm really, REALLY hoping for, for my sake. I like to be able to use my computer and stuff while I'm watching a movie, and I have an Apple TV/iPod touch/iPad that I can use, or use as a remote or something, too.)

I suppose that's "all" I'm looking for. Anybody know what's available out there?
  2. jpveedubs

jpveedubs Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Oh! If there is any client (non-web-based) required, it must be cross-platform; there are Mac, Linux, and Windows users among us.
  3. vahn

vahn Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Not too sure about the legality of such a program but if it exists, it does sound interesting.
  4. Steve spears

Steve spears New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Best way to watch movies with the friends in DVD/Blu-Ray at the night. Invite your friends with a snack party and it will be a lot of fun....
  5. DarkAura17

DarkAura17 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I do this with my friends over Skype now that we're at college. We each have a Netflix account and we watch a horror, comedy, or action movie to see one another's reactions.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. jpveedubs

jpveedubs Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    ...what?
    You caught the part that I was going to be living in a different state, right...?
  7. jpveedubs

jpveedubs Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    I'm not sure what you mean. It's possible to watch movies over Skype, or do you just, like...point a camera at your television screen? Or each of you start the same movie on Netflix at the same time?

I don't have Netflix (in fact, only one, maybe two, of us does have it), and don't plan to get it, especially not for stuff that I already own. I'm looking for a way to stream what I have (be it on DVD/Blu-Ray, or ripped from one to a video file if I can't do it that way), to like...3-6 other people, online. That's it, really.
  8. 1nyuki

1nyuki New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I just wrote a free script to exactly do that with VLC player: your players come to the same IRC channel, and you issue the play command, which starts off the same DVD/Blu-Ray or whatever, on each one's respective computer:
    http://mindey.com/vlcirc (works with Linux/MacOS/Windows).
  9. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Checkout SeeToo.
  10. Dabone

Dabone Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Doesnt vlc do that?