whats stopping apple from sueing?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by optikalefx, Dec 27, 2007.

1. optikalefx

optikalefx New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    With obvious sites like jailbreakme.com and that tinyurl one for the auto jailbreak, whats stopping apple form sueing, or shutting down those sites. Im sure there are legal issues involved there so that they can, i mean those sites aid in destruction of their property right?

idk just wondering.
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

No. No legal issues involved. Jailbreaking is perfectly legal. There's no destruction involved -- just slight alterations which do not violate IP laws. Apple just doesn't like it, but the courts don't view a lack of affinity for something as sufficient grounds to bring suit.
  3. ben471

ben471 New Member

Jailbreaking isn't illegal. Roms are illegal(if you don't own them) and the iPhone apps are illegal to download because they are the property of Apple. I guess they could do something about the iPhone apps. I honestly don't think they care that much. I don't know how well they could make out if they sued whoever is destributing the iPhone apps, but I bet it wouldn't be much more then they spend sueing them. Honestly it's probably not worth it for them. Like minefield said they don't like it.
  4. fieldsheer

fieldsheer New Member

if anything jailbreaking helps sell pods! We all agree that out of the box the touch is fairly useless. The ability to add TPA increases its functionality considerably.

Let's face it, if apple didn't want the pods to be jailbroken the wouldnt allow it. The fact that its ridiculously easy to do just shows that they are tolerant of it at the very least.

They may not like it but to sue? Definately not.
  5. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I think suing for the jailbreak would be a loser for Apple - they'd be on the edge of IP law but more importantly, they'd alienate a whole large section of their audience for their devices. The iPhone apps, on the other hand, I am surprised they haven't shut down. And of course if anyone ever made an emulator of the iPod Touch, I think they'd go after them with a cease & desist in no time flat...