What's So Bad?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by crazytrain320, Aug 19, 2010.

1. crazytrain320

crazytrain320 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I'm learning ARM right now and I have heard from many people that it was very complicated. However, after reading some of it it seems very easy. Is there something that im missing? Im still on the basics of ARM but it seems very easy to comprehend
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Any assembly language is simpler than a higher level language like C++, for example. Of course, that is not to say that assembly is easier than a higher level language. I guess many people are scared off by the "foreign" syntax of assembly, or perhaps the fact that there is no comfy layer of abstraction that many people cannot do without.

An assembly language, is, needless to say, limited to its own architecture, unlike higher level languages, which are mostly platform-agnostic from the user's perspective, save for implementation-specific things. (assembly is just a mnemonic representation of machine instructions, typically with a one-to-one correspondence, instruction-wise).

An important use of x86-64 assembly pertinent to Objective-C is Apple's implementation of the messaging subroutine objc_msgSend for OS X 10.6. It's written in fined-tuned assembly, and with good reason—that function must be as fast as possible. (I'm sure Apple did the same with the PPC and ARM platforms, but I can only speak definitively of the x86-64 implementation on 10.6, as that's the only one I've looked at on opensource.apple.com)

Assembly is good to know. If you never write it, being able to read it can be incredibly helpful. Most importantly, it adds depth to your understanding. If you're like me, it will cause you to appreciate everything more.
  3. crazytrain320

crazytrain320 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I have also heard from people it is extremely helpful to help you understand codes more easily.

Thanks for the explanation
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Just a quick question. What is it called when the device is mapped out like 0x00004005 or stuff like that?