Whats going on with linux then?

Discussion in 'Android Chat' started by Ryan, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    So what we waiting for? I would think that linux on the iphone would have sparked off a huge revolution.. dosnt seem like it. Is everyone just waiting for android to be ported?
  2. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Linux on the iPhone isn't finished yet.
  3. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    From what I think, Linux needs drivers for it to work.

There are no drivers for the iPod Touch or iPhone. This makes it hard to accomplish much.
  4. rickatnight11

rickatnight11 New Member

There is only one team (person?) working on a Linux distribution for the iPhone and iPod Touch. The fact that it has taken this long means that it's not easy. They have successfully ported the kernel over, and have a few rudimentary drivers working. Because the hardware in these devices are fairly standard, existing drivers can be modified to be used in this case. You can visit http://www.iphonelinux.org/index.php/Main_Page to see their project status chart, which will tell you exactly what the hold up is. Once they finish these groundbreaking tasks, it will be much easier for the community to explode with applications: some new, some ported from existing code. That huge community exists, but as it has been demonstrated, not just anyone can accomplish this, so once these pioneers finish the rest of us will have what we need to get to work. You'll see that spurt of development once the core is complete.

I believe they are working on their own implementation of the Debian Linux distribution. Since I haven't seen them mention Android, I expect another team to take this team's work after completion and use it to run Android.