whats a promo code?

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by iPop_cherries, Apr 28, 2009.

1. iPop_cherries

iPop_cherries New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    sorry, im probably in the wrong forum but i wasnt sure where to ask.
    but yea i see them throughout the forums and im just wondering what they are.

thanks ahead of time.
  2. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

You enter them in iTunes and you can get a free application.
  3. iPop_cherries

iPop_cherries New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    woah thats awesome, thanks for the help.
    now to keep an eye out for promo codes

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. spoonforknife

The best ways to get them are through big giveaways like Fantastic Friday (the third of which is coming up in June), or directly from the developers, through forum posts and their twitter feeds. Many are very open to giving you a copy of their application if you agree to review it and promote it.
  5. geonsteelers

geonsteelers New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    spoonforknife, i can't understand it. lol but i really want one
  6. spoonforknife

Basically, developers want to sell more of their applications, so they get more money. In order to get more awareness (you telling your friends, writing reviews, etc.) they'll give some copies of the application out free. It's like at grocery stores, they give out samples of cheese squares, so you think the cheese is good and recommend it to your friends or even buy it yourself.

So they will give out promo codes. Naturally, people want to get free stuff too, because, well... it's free. So developers have given out promotional codes from their twitter accounts (they posted codes on twitter) or have given them to people that are more well-known than themselves to distribute. For example, if many people don't know Developer Bob, but many people read Developer Ron's blog, Developer Bob may give some codes to Developer Ron to give out on his blog.

Users will then enter a code into the iTunes redeem section and redeem their application. Always remember to thank the developer and write a review!

Hope I explained it well enough.

Please Register or Log in to view images