What You Need to Understand About Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by spoonforknife, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

I'll be quite clear. I've been on this forum a long time, perhaps too long. I guess this kind of gives me the grumpy old man status, shaking his cane at the young whippersnappers who are wrinkling my towels. However, fairly recently, I've noticed that some people do not understand what jailbreaking is, and what the morals of this community are.

This thread is to clear all of that up.

The jailbreak was created in order to get something that Apple would not let iPhone users have: the unlock, the ability to use the iPhone on a network that wasn't AT&T. In order to be able to do this, we had to get the ability to modify the system a bit: which was jailbreaking. Now onto the iPod touch.

In the very beginning of the iPod touch's existence, there was the 1.1 firmware. This firmware only had very, very few applications and things you could do with it: Safari, Calendar, YouTube, Contacts, Music, Video, Photos, iTunes, Calculator, Settings, and Clock. As you can imagine, people yearned for something more. There weren't even web applications.

The jailbreak was the natural solution to this: to get things that Apple wouldn't allow you to have. Applications like Twinkle, Tap Tap Revolution, NES, and Summerboard captivated iPod touch users. The entire purpose of it wasn't to get things for free. There were plenty of paid options in Installer as well, such as Hidepod, Intelliscreen, and Caterpillar (Kate). Hell, there was even iSteamy.

The point of the jailbreak was not to get applications for free. It really wasn't. The point was to have something to do on that powerful, but locked, device. Seriously, if you had a computer with 4 GB of RAM with Windows 3.1 and Lotus Notes on it, wouldn't you rather put something on it that would actually be fun and/or useful?

Things being free were just a side effect of developers learning how to code and being kind enough to give their work away. There was the fantastic iAppADay project, the revolutionary PocketTouch, and Tap Tap Revolution. Now, it's the same thing, it's still to get functions that Apple won't allow, even more so. Things like MobileSubstrate hooks: SBSettings, Winterboard, and emulators.

The Cydia Store exemplifies this idea even more fully. The products are worked on just as hard, if not harder, than those on the App Store. The same developers have the same right to be paid, as if it was on the App Store. It's merely a slightly different medium. Jailbreaking also pioneered a variety of features: Shake to Shuffle (PocketTouch), Copy & Paste (Clippy, CopierCN, hClipboard, etc.), Video Recording (Showtime, iPhone Video Recorder, Cycorder), Tethering (iPhoneModem, Modem, Tether), MMS (SwirlyMMS), SpringBoard search (QuickGold), and more.

Respect the principles that jailbreaking was based on: to get something that Apple wouldn't allow. Don't take the gift of developers and assume that everything from jailbreaking must and will always be free. That's not the case. As jailbreaking progresses, it becomes far more advanced. I don't think anybody from the 1.1.x days would have thought that jailbreaking would at one time give us incredible tools such as the ones that we take for granted today.

Don't let piracy be its ruin.
  2. beebop

beebop New Member

Well said... I hope this will make some of those pirates realise... but ultimately.. there's nothing we can do to stop it. As long as it stays away from iptf we're doing our part
  3. BroadStBullies

BroadStBullies Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Great thread andrew. I am against piracy to the fullest extent. Hopefully we can save our forum from sinking into a world of pirates.
  4. Ruud91

Ruud91 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Lol the old man with the wisedom of all iPod

Please Register or Log in to view images

I remember you didn't had an ipod and still gave a lot of support to this community

But on topic, nice story I see the thought and that wants me to go back to the good old day s

5. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Very well put. I think I may have to sig this.

This is why I miss the 1.1.x days.
  6. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    1.1.x were the golden days.
  7. altemar

altemar New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    world, well said
  8. prauny

prauny Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I miss my 1.1.2 iPod 1G. I may see if I can restore to 1.1.2 just for the memories.

*digs out 1G iPod
  9. LeanPocketTouch

LeanPocketTouch Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Very well thought out and said.
  10. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Very well said. I too may have to sig this. Also, is asking for help about piracy an automatic ban? Because it should be. If we make the deva angry, and they complain to Apple, I can see an increased force to shut down the dev team.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.