What To Do With A Jailbroken iPod/iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by the goat, Jun 22, 2009.

1. the goat

the goat Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Well some people here know that I have never jailbroken my iPod touch, well once, it stayed like that for a day then I went back to normal. That was in the 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 days. Now I am sure things have changed and there is more than just a few games and apps to jailbreaking. I would love t know what are the top things to do when you have a 2.0 jailbroken iPod touch. What exactly is Icy? How do I get widgets? Do the old themes still work with 2.0? Is SSH still the same? Are there any other really interesting things I need to know? Thanks in advance guys

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

3.0 now....

Yes old themes will work, but icons will be missing. SSH is still the same. Icy is another package installer like Cydia/Installer.

Widget guide in theme section.
  3. the goat

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Right, thanks, I don't want to quite move onto 3.0 yet, because maybe the jailbreak isn't quite yet established properly? Or do I just think that because I'm a scardy cat?

Also, what do you mean some icons will be missing? From the 2.0+ apps?
  4. aced6

aced6 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    My iPod is all about gaming. I have almost every emulator available, plus I load it with AppStore games.
    Icy is a Cydia "replacement". Personally, i love Cydia. Icy, on the other hand, just doesn't give me a "I control my iPod" feeling.
    Widgets are a whole other topic. I have 2 installed currently: LockScreen Calendar and Notifier. I find these spice up your iPod. Whenever i turn on my screen, i instantly see any events upcoming because of the calendar there. And when i use my iPod, i can se when i get new emails because of the notifier.
    Yes, old themes work with 2.0
    I never SSH'd with 1.1.4, so I wouldn't know if anything changed.
    There's nothing else i can think of sharing. Some useful tools I use on 2.2.1 are *******ula (a ******* client) and dTunes (a downloaded media player). If you plan to use 2.2.1, i would highly reccommend PwnPlayer. It's no longer maintained, but it's amazing! There's lockscreen controls (press on lockscreen and you can change songs) and it integrates your iTunes library with any downloaded music, so you can make playlists out of both.
    Other than that, your iPod will be free to do whatever it wants when you jailbreak.
  5. Manic Nimrod

Well the upgrade is up to you, People have been having mixed problems, i have had a few. But over all it seems much better then a 2.X.X jailbreak.

Depends how old the theme is.

If its mega old, then some wont have ones like Cydia or Winterboard.

Also, they wont have any AppStore apps.
  6. the goat

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Awesome! Thanks, a few more questions. Regarding themming and customization what app(s) is/are there now? I know there was SMBprefs and Customize but I imagine they've changed now... also what is this iNav thing?
  7. Manic Nimrod

Winterboard has taken over both..

Customize just sucks ass. And Summerboard died on 1.1.X

iNav is a theme using catergories and makes it 'easier' to navigate around your iPod.

I personally hate it. Takes ages to set it up.
  8. the goat

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Ok thanks, sorry about the heap of questions but as I said, I know NOTHING about 2.0 Jailbreaking lol.

• Are there any apps I have to avoid?
    • What are some of the most popular themes?
    • '' '' Apps?
    • How/where do I get categories?
    • What are the best sources that have the beat apps?
    • Are there any apps I HAVE to install like the olden days like BossPrefs and there was a couple more

There was one more question, I can't quite remember what it was but I shall write it in when I remember...

EDIT:

Remembered

On WinPwn/QuickPwn should I select installer, cydia or both?
  9. Manic Nimrod

'Apps to avoid?' No
    'Themes' Anything on the first page of Macthemes iPhone section. And a few here.
    " " Apps' What?
    Categories' Cydia
    Beat apps' lol wut?
    Not really, but useful ones, Mobile Substrate.
  10. ndsilcock

ndsilcock Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I've been jailbreaking since 1.1.1 and my opinion is that its pretty much useless after the 2.0 update unless you are into theming or illegal activity. I think jailbreaking was just Apple's test to see if the Appstore would work on there device and we were the testers