What to do after jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by greenphlem, Jul 28, 2010.

1. greenphlem

greenphlem New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So you have just jailbroken your iPhone/iPod touch for the first time, congratulations! You have just opened yourself to a whole new world of features for your handset! But it can be confusing figuring out what to download, so I decided that I'm going to go over some essential applications as well as some must have Cydia sources so you can fully enjoy your new hacked device.

Whether or not you used Comex's Spirit, Geohot's Blackra1n, or the Dev Teams Redsn0w, once you complete the jailbreak process, you will have an icon on your springboard called "Cydia" now what Cydia is it's essentially a Jailbroken AppStore; Cydia allows users to download Third party apps that apple didn't allow without jailbreak, onto their device. (Note: some jailbreaks add Rockapp also but I'm only going over Cydia because Rock sucks

Please Register or Log in to view images

)

So onto the article:

Now first I’m going to go over some important sources to put into Cydia, for those of you who don't know, sources (also called repositories) are a way of people to put a bunch of Cydia "Packages" into one place, easily accessible from Cydia via a URL, And Here are some essential ones:

1. Modmyi (source: http://modmyi.com/cydia/)
    Provider of some great Cydia Packages you can't live without

2. FreeCoder (source: http://iphone.freecoder.org/apt/)
    this source gives you some very handy packages

Next, I'm going to go over some must have Cydia packages.

So once you go into Cydia and reload your data, go into the Search icon on the bottom of Cydia, and search for these packages:

1. Winterboard: This package allows you to apply themes on your iPhone, creating a whole new user experience on your iDevice. And with the very active themeing community, you will never run out of a way of expressing your style through your handset.

2. ProSwitcher: those of you who have played with Palms "WebOS" have seen their card system for multitasking and this is exactly what ProSwitcher does, it allows you to run as many apps as you want at the same time, letting you seamlessly switch between them in a coverflow style similar to the aforementioned "Card System".

3. Sbsettings: this package is one of the more useful add-ons in Cydia; it allows you access some very useful settings such as brightness, processes, wifi, Bluetooth, and 3g, all from sliding your finger along the status bar in any app.

4. Categories: for people that like to be very organized with their apps, this is the package for you, it does what the name says: allows you to put you apps into categories. You can name the categories as well as change the icon for it, all without re-springing your device.

Well there you have it, some very useful Cydia sources and packages. Now there are thousands of Cydia packages to chose from so these five are just for starters, just browse through Cydia and you can find some very awesome packages that add a whole new dimension of interaction with your iDevice.

(Note: Did I miss any important ones? Leave any Cydia apps you feel need to be downloaded for first time jailbreakers in the reply section below!)
  2. Sawz

Sawz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Remove [PIRACY] and [PIRACY]us - piracy is illegal!
  3. JakeMan

JakeMan Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You need to delete some of the sources and packages, as they deal with pirating. Read the rules.
  4. greenphlem

greenphlem New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    sence when is [PIRACY] illegal? it has a bunch of legal stuff on htere
  5. Sawz

Sawz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Roms are illegal to download if you have not bought them, and also I seem to remember finding cracked apps on there as well?
  6. JakeMan

JakeMan Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yes, I do believe it contains pirated software.

EDIT: Yes, it does.
  7. greenphlem

greenphlem New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    fine whatever ill take it off
  8. Sawz

Sawz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Don't just rename them to say 'use at your own risk', remove them totally. We do not tolerate piracy here FULL STOP
  9. greenphlem

greenphlem New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    what do you think i just did? i took everything off (that at your own risk thing was on there before you put anything
  10. JakeMan

JakeMan Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Also, please take off [PIRACY]us and the [PIRACY] repo, it's illlegal and against forum rules plus I don't think you want to be banned.

EDIT: Sorry, my interwebs was being slow, thanks for updating it

Please Register or Log in to view images