What the fring! No sound!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by zclintz, Oct 26, 2009.

1. zclintz

zclintz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hey guys, newbie here and so far enjoying my first ipod touch very much. I have a 3rd gen 32gb (jailbroken) in case it matters.

My problem is when I try using Fring or Siphon I can call phones and make them ring but I can't hear the person I am calling and they can not hear me. Fring has that test call deal... I tried that and it played back the message that I recorded and said I was good to go.

I have no idea what is going on, I have searched and searched but it doesn't seem that my problem is very common. I have set up multiple SIP accounts to test run various providers all with the same issue....no sound.

I have a linksys wrt54gs router and my last attempts at fixing my prob were looking into it's settings. Maybe I need to set up some kind of port forwarding???

Please help!! This is driving me nuts!

Thanks!
  2. iptlolage123

iptlolage123 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i had the same trouble about a month ago now
    they may have upgraded the software and your router isnt compatible anymore
  3. zclintz

zclintz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I'll try another router and see what the results are.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    So far I still have the same issue with other routers. I'll keep trying in new areas to see if it will work for me.

Anyone one else have any ideas???
  4. zclintz

zclintz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    No more ideas anyone????
  5. gautham123

gautham123 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    obviously they can't hear you, the ipod touch does not have a microphone you moron.
  6. ipwndanubs

ipwndanubs New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well, "Moron"
    he uses the supplied earphones with microphone and remote to call people
    i do the same

and to answer you question,
    Fring never worked for me in the first place, just use either iCall or Skype
  7. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    The guy you quoted got pwned. =P
  8. zclintz

zclintz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    You really should learn to read before you comment. You're not going to do too well in high school (if you manage to make it that far).
    Thanks for the reply! I will try them out.
    icall works!! Thanks very much
  9. apal

apal Guest

Microphone issue

I have been trying hard to hear audio from voip calls(including Fring test call) on my iPod touch 2G(firmware 4.2) with the earpiece (without microphone) supplied by apple. Connection on both Fring and Talkatone was ok, but I could not hear audio.
    I tried removing all firewalls and port forwarding on my Netgear router in vain. Yesterday my router was replaced by the internet provider as they decided to upgrade my connection to wireless. With the new modem+router, the audio issue remained.
    Now, I tried to connect through Fring on my Nokia E75 with the same wireless connection and I succeeded in hearing audio. This made it preety certain that voip calls should work from my ipod on the same network.
    Therefore, I replaced my apple earpiece with a microphone+earpiece headset and dialed through Fring and it started working. I also tried a gtalk to mobile call from talkatone and it worked great. So I have a solution, but not a definite root cause.
    I am not a network expert, but I still believe its a firewall related issue.
    outgoing voice data followed by incoming voice data --> works great
    no outgoing voice (in absence of microphone) , only incoming voice data --> blocked.

Does that make sense?