What stops people from sharing the update?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by CoolMe, Jan 16, 2008.

1. CoolMe

CoolMe New Member

What actualy stop's someone from buying it, then sending out the firmware file for people?

Once it's been jailbroken of course?
  2. Rawd

Rawd New Member

nothing....
  3. CoolMe

CoolMe New Member

So you could buy it, then give me the file, Then i can choose to "restore" my ipod using that file?

Easy as pie I think?
  4. pared

pared New Member

Please don't post incorrect things like this.

I'm sure people don't want their personal information being distributed all over the internet so Apple can trace it back to them.

The update embeds your personal info in it. It's very easy to find, actually.
  5. Mustachio

Mustachio New Member

Well, the firmware and the apps are two seperate things.

The firmware is available for free, so there is no reason to stop people from sharing it. Its the apps that arent free. If I understand correctly they are coded to work with a specific persons itunes account, and the ipod associated with that account.
  6. Whosthatrandom

Whosthatrandom New Member

Yup, that's correct. Because you download it from iTunes, it works as if it's a song or a video (in that it gets synced to your iPod automatically), and as such is encoded with Apple's closed source DRM, is specific to your account, and (I think) can only be used once, on one iPod touch.
  7. CoolMe

CoolMe New Member

Oh so hang on,

Theres the 1.1.3 update, Then theres the Iphone Apps update?

I thought it was just one?
  8. Rawd

Rawd New Member

I'm sorry, but I don't think what I posted was incorrect. He was asking what stops people from distributing their firmware. I don't think anything is stopping people. Whether it works or not, is another question...
  9. Whosthatrandom

Whosthatrandom New Member

Nope, you download the firmware update for free like with 1.1.2 (and 1.1.1, if you've downgraded). Unlike the iPhone equivalent, it doesn't give you all the new features, just an un-jailbreakable iPod touch with a less stylish dock. After that, you are offered the chance of buying the iPhone apps plus the other new features, which are then synced to your iPod.
  10. Mercury

Mercury New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Just remain a patient, then it will be jailbroked and all apps available. Just wait a little.