what should i do???

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by newton1221, Sep 22, 2008.

1. newton1221

newton1221 New Member

I currently have a 1st gen ipod touch with 1.1.4 FW that is jailbroken via ZiPhone, it worked perfectly, and I have plenty of 3rd party apps downloaded from the installer app. Well what i was wondering is should i try to upgrade to 2.1 FW and iTunes 8, and rejailbreak? Is it really hard to do? I'm just wondering if its even worth doing, I mean, am I really missing that much or should I just stick with what I've got, I mean its not giving me any problems, I just hate being stuck in the iPod Touch stone ages with my 1.1.4 and iTunes 7?

Any advice or insight, based on opinion or personal experience would be great, Im just trying to figure out what I should do?
  2. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    update to 2.1 and stay unjailbroken its so worth it trust me
  3. newton1221

newton1221 New Member

so if i just update, like click it on my iTunes because it asks me about it when i plug it in, if i do that then it'll just be regular, unjailbroken with 2.1 firmware? and then i can upgrade to iTunes 8 too???
  4. windowsexpert08

windowsexpert08 New Member

Yeh, to be honest like he said you dont need to jailbreak, the app store is amazing and all developers are releasing there apps there. They want to make money instead of giving away for free. The only thing jailbreaking really is good for now is unlocking your iphone, themes, or the illegal thing which should never be done (using cracked apps)
  5. newton1221

newton1221 New Member

ok so i am definitely going to upgrade to 2.1 firmware after browsing the app store online, and iTunes 8, so just wondering, i have 1.1.4 jailbroken, do i need to do anything special? should i restore and then upgrade? or just upgrade? and also does it cost anything to upgrade to 2.1 and iTunes 8?
  6. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

IDK what these guys are talking about, but I highly recommend jailbreaking. Themes are insane with WinterBoard, etc. There are bunches of advantages.

It's also very easy, and there are tons of tutorials.
  7. syrguy1969

syrguy1969 New Member

OK....I am considering updating, but I have a couple questions.

1- Is there a way of updating to 2.1 yet keeping existing theme + apps?

2- Can the updated firmware use the same themes, or do we need to start from scratch? Also, can we use home-made themes on an un-jailbroken iTouch or do we need to jailbreak it to enable theme use?

Thanks for any input!! I was happy with the firmware I am currently on until I heard we can utilize a lot more wi-fi spots with the 2.1 (not sure why, but it works)!!!
  8. Pelaez-1

Pelaez-1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Reply in quote.

If AppStore apps are enough for you, don't jailbreak, if you want to get the most out of the device, jailbreak it.
  9. syrguy1969

syrguy1969 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply, I will jailbreak!! I am sorry I will lose a few cool apps though. I have etch-a-sketch on my iTouch now, and the new version is a pay app. Og well, I guess we can't win 'em all LOL!!!!

Thanks again