What should I do to become a developer?!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by *Soul~Of~iTouch*, Jul 23, 2008.

1. *Soul~Of~iTouch*

*Soul~Of~iTouch* New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hey guys,

I'm sure we've all seen the amazing feats of the iPhone DevTeam(if you haven't, then you're whole life is wasted!) and ZodTTD and all the other great developers out there. It really amazes me how good they are at all these and after the jailbreak of 2.0 which we've all been waiting for, I'm kinda inspired by the DevTeam to become a jailbreak developer but I have absolutely no idea of what to learn and all. I don't know a thing about programming except maybe the name "C++" and "Objective C" but no further knowledge.

My aim is not just to develop apps but also to find ways to jailbreak new firmwares like what the DevTeam does. Does anyone here know what I should learn, where I should begin and all that? Cause I really want to comtribute to the jailbreaking community and I swear that I won't end up like Zibri.

Keep in mind that I'm on a Vista and not a Mac so I don't know if I should learn Objective C or something else. Oh, and for those of you who's gonna tell me something like "The grass is always greener on the other side for this type of things, get a Mac", well, I'm 13 right now so "getting a Mac" is impossible. And so is persuading my parents to get me one.

Does anyone know what should I learn for developing and doing the stuff that the DevTeam does? If you do, I beg for you to help me! For all you awesome developers out there, how did you guys learn all your skills? Links or personal recounts would be very greatly appreciated.
  2. Baggy Spandex

Baggy Spandex Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    you need to pay attention in english. you will go nowhere if you spell things wrong when trying to code.
  3. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Take it easy. What are there - two misspellings?

I wouldn't recommend starting out with the goal of jailbreaking firmwares. I would start out by immersing yourself with advanced computing knowledge, and the like. (How certain filesystems work, how files are read and called upon, etc.) There is plenty on the Internet.

Have you ever made your own MS-DOS batch file? Do you know what one is? It's not what you would call an application, but works like one, but over the command line. Creating these files to automate simple tasks can be educational and productive.
  4. *Soul~Of~iTouch*

Device:
    iPod touch
    Forget the spelling errors, I admit I typed it a bit fast but I'm sure I won't type my coding too fast...when I actually learn how to code and all that.
  5. piratetom95

piratetom95 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i have no clue about any of this stuff either
  6. *Soul~Of~iTouch*

Device:
    iPod touch
    So the point of your post is what? Taking up space of my browser?!
  7. nclaxmiddy11

nclaxmiddy11 Active Member

Haha he was talking about when you are coding an application you have to make sure you type everything exactly correct.

He wasnt talking about your first post.

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. 101gfx

101gfx New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You're not going to be finding exploits for a long time my friend... You could try registering as an apple developer and read some of the ObjC coding guides that are on there. Then find a compiler, compile it, put it on your jailbroken iPod for debugging.
  9. Baggy Spandex

Baggy Spandex Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    yeah yeah yeah. i was just playin. you should google things that you want to achieve. try what hellrider suggested and see what you think. im on a mac, so i dont really have any ideas about what you should use. props for making me feel like a lazy bum who doesnt contribute and makes fun of 13 yr. olds though

Please Register or Log in to view images

BTW nclaxmiddy11 was right about my other post
  10. mlbplayer456

mlbplayer456 Banned

maybe he has the same problem as you so chill..but ya that post was kinda pointlesss, and btw i also need help with learning code its not just you who need help and i totally agree that its impossible to convince parents to get a mac for you, i could only get one by cashing all my savings bonds but that would be stupid