What seems to be the trend to do..

Discussion in 'Graphics, Design, and Photography' started by stickypop, Feb 11, 2009.

1. stickypop

stickypop Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    This isn't a rant but I've noticed that recently, a lot of people on this board, actually no, a lot of people, seem to have a really bad habit of making half arsed design pieces which follow the simple structure of,

Blank Canvas > Select downloaded Brush > Brush Brush Brush > Add Stock > Brush Brush Brush > Finished > 10/10 (or so they think)

I guess this is a request in a way, but will people actually just have a think about what they're doing, use more than just 1 stock images, DON'T use downloaded brushes, the odd one, yeah maybe, but instead of brushing, USE STOCK IMAGES and learn to blend properly!

There are hundreds of stock websites, and hundreds of design blogs, tutorial websites etc.. so the teaching is there, people are just being too damn lazy. I know I'm not the best at design work, but what pisses me off is when someone puts a lot of work into something and it does look decent but no one gives feedback out, but then someone comes a long and produces basically a pre-made piece of work and everyone is like "WOAH OMG THATS AMAZING"

I don't know where this is going, but it's been bugging me for sometime. A great example of someone producing work by trying new things and new styles to suit them is Smithy, he's worked a lot recently, asking for help and advice, asking how to do things etc.. so if he can do it, anyone can (no saying he's retarded but you know what I mean - no offence to Smithy, he's got the sense to ask)

Oh and one last thing, please do not post pieces of work, one after another in a separate thread, you're spamming the boards up, if you have a lot of work to show at once, use ONE thread.

Thank you, for your reading, if necessary, close and delete the thread.

Edit: Forgot to say, if anyone is willing and needing help, I'm always handy to show people a thing or two or send people in the right direction for the best help/advice. I know a few good people too, personally and online, who are very good at design and I could guide them to there website, blogs etc.. In fact, I might add a list to this thread with tutorial websites, stock websites etc..

------------------------------------------------

Stock Websites:
    Stock.xchng
    iStockphoto
    Fotolia
    Shutter Stock
    DeviantART Stock Section

Web Blogs:
    Computerlove
    Arsthanea
    Original-Linkage
    DAHRA Blog

Font Websites
    1001 Free Fonts
    DaFont

I might update this when I get the time.
  2. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

2 things my friend:

1. I don't always use brushes
    2. Will you calm down if i make my OWN brushes?
  3. stickypop

stickypop Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Where in this thread did I directly mention you or your work? I'm meaning in general.
  4. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

You didn't, but i do use brushes SOMETIMES.
  5. stickypop

stickypop Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Right then, no need to take it personal.
  6. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

Nicely put, and brushes aren't everything.
  7. stickypop

stickypop Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I'm guessing you just missed that the point of that whole "rant" ? If you want to talk to me about it, PM me, I'm not spamming this thread for the sake of it.
  8. MrBrightside

MrBrightside Active Member

I feel bullied ='[
  9. flyingguitar

flyingguitar Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    me too

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. JohnnyAndroid

JohnnyAndroid Active Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    I never use brushes or fractal designs, they're both like crutches. I would like to learn some of you and Smithy's design techniques because you guys aren't bad at all! Matt1308 isn't half bad either. I'm willing to learn anything that has to do with Ps or Flash or Dw. And a ton of other stuff!!

Please Register or Log in to view images