what R pro's &con's of jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by snickerpuff, Apr 2, 2009.

1. snickerpuff

snickerpuff New Member

hi im just really dumb when it comes to electronics and i dont know where to start i saw an example of what it looks like after and im not sure i like how it looks is there a way to jailbreak it but keep the apps the same. Also i have bought alot of apps im just wondering what would happen to them if i jailbroke it? Then of course the main question, i just really want to know what the pros and cons are? Or good things and bad things that happen when you jailbreak a 2nd generation Ipod touch? Also what does it mean to Jailbreak, do i get free music and movies and videos? Last most important whats a good website to get music thats compatable with itunes but cheap ? I have used limewire which was a one time fee of 30 dollers but im not happy with it, I need something like that but something that has good music videos for free or a one time fee or really really cheap.... Please help

Please Register or Log in to view images

please please please someone???????
    willing to pay if have to

Heather AKA snickerpuff
  2. jp!

jp! New Member

I don't see any cons, though there are a lot of pro's =)
    To answer your questions:
    Yes, you can keep the same apps by re-syncing
    They will stay the same since you bought them
    You can listen to music at seeqpod.com and download it then use dtunes to listen to it again when you are near no wifi
    For movies and videos, you can also download them and use dtunes but I don't know any really good site besides warez
    And you can use mxtube for downloading Youtube videos
    EDIT: ^ on your iPod Touch

And for a good site to download music on your computer, you can use SpiralFrog (google it) and then convert to an unprotected MP3 format so you can use it on your iPod

Later =)
  3. InsertiPodHere

InsertiPodHere New Member

Pros:
    Cons:
    You have to resync after you're done, which could take some time
    It may look like you broke your iPod (although that never happens)
    You lose your warrenty with Apple (although you can restore and they'll never know)

As for music and videos, you can use dTunes, all your apps will be fine, and will be resynced upon first connection with iTunes after Jailbreak, but it takes time.

Jailbreak technically means breaking out of the chroot()jail, but the defination now is to have more customization on your device and allows you access to the file system.

NOTE: If you do not back up your iPod and restore the back up through iTunes (i.e. setup as new iPod) you WILL lose all game PROGRESS.
  4. Torrents

Torrents New Member

InsertiPodHere nailed it, nice job. There are definitely more pro's to jailbreaking, and I recommend everyone to jailbreak their iPod.
  5. idk761

idk761 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Jailbreak gets old quick, it may be cool at first but soon it gets boring. There are great things like winterboard and SBsettings, bit are not really needed. If your one of those people who just listen to music and watch videos a jailbreak isn't needed. Jailbreak sometimes becomes unstable sometimes, but you just need to reboot and it is fixed.

I might restore to official firmware
  6. InsertiPodHere

InsertiPodHere New Member

While it is true that Jailbreak makes you waste memory (mainly due to daemons and mobilesubtrate, but if you just respring it can free up alot of RAM). I personally could not run dTunes and Stanza at the same time without one of them crashing

Please Register or Log in to view images

Anyways, even if you use your iPod just for music and videos (why did you buy a touch?) there are still useful things like mplayer and pockettouch. It also gives some extra functionality such as the emoji keyboard, street view etc.