what programming language should i learn?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by randomdude1234, Feb 19, 2010.

1. randomdude1234

randomdude1234 Member

it doesnt matter how difficult it is, i just need three things:

•It cant become outdated soon, i want the knowledge to be useful for several years

•It can make programs and maybe eventually a game (any supporting programs of the language, like unity, TGB or maybe even XNA would be great)

•it needs to be widely known, so i can recieve support if i need it.

thx.
  2. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Either C++ or obj-C

or python if u want an easier one
  3. deleted account 92

deleted account 92 Active Member

Java or a C language. I wouldn't start with obj. c though, try c or c++ first.
  4. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yeah, I wouldn't go C first though, I found it annoying to learn when I coulda gone stragjt to C++
  5. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    If you want to learn about how computers work, and gain a greater appreciation for the things around you, start off low-level with some C, then after you feel comfortable, learn /some/ assembly.

That sort of knowledge won't directly help you make a game in some high-level language, but it will help you write more efficient code, and it's incredibly valuable for certain careers.

Perhaps it isn't best to start low-level (close to the machine) though...

I don't really like Java/C# as they are not native, and scripting languages are excellent for certain tasks (e.g. perl for text manipulation/regex), but I wouldn't consider them tools for making apps/games.

Programming is used to solve problems; if the problem is close to the machine, you're best off with a low-level language, and if the problem is abstract, you're best off with a language with many abstractions/conveniences.

You'll learn that conveniences come with a performance penalty, but that may or may not be important.

It takes a day or two to learn the syntax of a language. It takes years to fully learn/be able to implement concepts (OOP -> inheritance, polymorphism, et al.) Fortunately, those concepts are applicable across a wide range of languages, so once you understand them, learning new languages won't be difficult.

good luck; feel free to contact me if you go the C route (and/or Objective-C/++).

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. randomdude1234

randomdude1234 Member

which is most useful?
  7. deleted account 92

Well, it depends what you want to make. They are all useful or else nobody would use them.

You should do some research and figure out which language is best for you.
  8. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    C++ and Objective-C are supersets of C. That means that they /are/ C (with a few insignificant exceptions), with a layer of abstraction on top that facilitates object-oriented programming. Obj-C and C++ have different philosophies regarding OOP, however.

I will continue to thump my K&R C Bible and encourage the use of straight-C for at least some time, before moving on to OOP/abstractions.

Of course, many will disagree with me, but I support what worked for me (and what I enjoy).

/edit: of course, I had an embarrassing "ooh i can make teh iphone apps d00d" stage (without any programming experience), but luckily I outgrew that before too much damage was done.

9. randomdude1234

randomdude1234 Member

just basic programs (nothing to convert or anything like that, prob. just having to do with accessing files and maybe connecting to a server) and eventually a game...i heard that C++ is good for this.. is it?
  10. deleted account 92

Well if you're gonna learn a C language you're most likely going to learn how to program with console first, before making GUIs. You're not just gonna jump right into making games or accessing files without learning how the language works, and making simple programs.