What percent of these ipods are defects

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JKJones, Oct 5, 2010.

?

How many people have had a defective ipod touch 4g

1. I got one

30 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. I didnt

48 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. JKJones

JKJones Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I was just wondering because it seams like people have been trading in these things alot is there a large amount of defects? anyone have a educated guess on the percentage? P.S Sorry if this thread exist i couldn't find one really asking my question just others on the same topic.
  2. Toasty Bread

Toasty Bread Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Start a poll...?

Btw mines perfect, except unresponsive Home Button.
  3. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Good question.

I say that the chances of having a perfect iPod are about slim to none. The ticking will be on every iPod, even if you say you don't have it, you're not in a quiet enough room. You do have it, if you don't, you went into the iPod and repositioned some parts.

Just about every iPod has at least a tiny light leak (Some of them are hairline and might not be considered a full light leak, but is a light leak none the less; I have a hairline light leak). Again, these are small hardware errors, nothing to really complain about, unless you use your iPod with full brightness in the pitch black, and look at the volume buttons while using it.

The cause of the light leak is still unknown, but the cause of the ticking is known. As for the overheating, that is a safety hazard, and is only seen on very few iPods. I guarantee you will run into a problem with your iPod. A problem is only a problem if you make it one.

I still say my iPod is perfect because I don't let the defects bring down the great device. They are small, not like the iPhone 4 signal error (10% of iPhones 4's have this problem, 10% of the population is left handed. The problem only exist if you hold it in your left hand). But with the iPod, I say live with it. Worse things can happen, you can go exchange your iPod 5-6 times.
  4. ryanangus

ryanangus Active Member

I've seen four 4th gen units - they've all had no problems whatsoever.

You can't determine how many iPods are defective, and you can't use this site as a sample. People happy with their iPods won't seek out a forum to complain in, and therefore won't vote here.
  5. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Exactly, and people happy with their iPods won't exaggerate everything either. If the light leak happened in a non-pitch black room with half brightness, I'd understand (like indoors with decent lighting). However, it doesn't, it happens in the pitch black with full brightness. Easy solution, get out of the dark, and turn down the brightness when you are in the dark, it really doesn't need to be that bright in the pitch black anyways.
  6. JKJones

JKJones Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    oh um i don't know how someone tell me?
  7. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Ha, I went to get my iPhone 3G replaced at an Apple store because the accelerometer was way off-center, and a pain with apps like racing apps, and it was replaced too much.

One time none of the wireless communications, (cellular signal, wifi, etc,) didn't work.

Another time there was light-leak around the entire left side.

Third time it get's way to hot, and there's a high-pitched noise from the speakers every once in a while. I still have this one, because it takes two hours to drive to the nearest Apple store, (two more the way back,) and traveling that far sucks. A lot.

So I just learn to accept it.

With an iPod touch (and it's surely lower quality standards,) I'd expect nothing different.
  8. Bl1tzkrieg

Bl1tzkrieg Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ^Click thread tools at the top of the thread

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. yojalata

yojalata Member

Well unless Apple releases info we cant really know. BTW: My iPod has no defects except the bug 98% of we have and that is the Mic and wifi issue.
  10. iTouchEC

iTouchEC Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    No overheating, no clicking with wifi on, no freezing, no dead pixels, battery seems normal, only a minor light leak...so I'm satisfied.