What Needs to be done for Untethered

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by Exosion, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Exosion

Exosion Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I think I just wanted to get this out there. Now, I want to say I back up this info 100%, but I could be slightly off.
    ---
    For an untethered jailbreak, the iPod needs to be able to fully functional and bootable with no assistance, period. In order to do this, some how the sigchecks need to be bypassed before the iPod would enter the kernel stage (after booting). Running unsigned code prior to the kernel stage can't be done [for now] and that means no code can be executed from the iPod at recovery mode or DFU mode. The reason previous jailbreaks worked was because there weren't as many sigchecks as there are on the 2G and unsigned code was able to be planted.

Correct anything that's wrong, please, but I think it's important that the general public knows exactly what's going on so people can stop asking when it's going to be released. Either way, there are rumors that the dev team has successfully created an untethered jailbreak, but if they release it now then it could ruin it for the next generation of ipod touchs/iphones. There is heavy speculation that an iPhone refresh could happen in June or July, and they would have the same hardware as the current 2G's. If the dev team were to release an untethered today, that means Apple could find it, create some sort of patch, and then make it harder on the dev team to find another jailbreak on the newer iPhones. For now, run rs isn't exactly a pain in the ass, so I think we can all live with it, considering we aren't being charged anything for the jailbreak.
  2. lightningdude

lightningdude New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The only problem I have with everyone saying that Apple could patch the new iPhone to counter the jailbreak is that there isn't a good enough time period to effectively re-patch. I mean think about it: If they are going to release in June or July, my bet is that they're already in production of the new iPhone. If they've already started producing them, they're not as likely to halt production, change something in the firmware, then go ahead and reproduce them.

How else do you think there are so many distributed on release day? They're made way in advance, so that they can get all the iPhones they need to their destinations for release.

Note: I'm not saying they've already made a lot, I'm just saying I bet they've at least already started production.
  3. roflpwned123

roflpwned123 Guest

You are correct. I'm not sure why we can't just plant the unsigned code in another place where the sigchecks won't check, or disguise the code in some way...this may sound ridiculous but I dont know.
  4. Ius

Ius New Member

Almost right. Running unsigned code at iBoot/BSS level (thus before the kernel) *does* work, there's just no way to expoit the arm7_go vulnerability without additional hardware.

You cannot forge the signatures, that's the purpose of assymetric key cryptography. Obtaining the private key requires you to factor the RSA modulus n, which is picked large enough so this isn't going to happen any time soon. Until then, you cannot produce a valid signature, or 'disguise' it in any way. There's no such thing, it's either valid or invalid.
  5. 0xjf

0xjf Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    well said. looks correct to me.
  6. iCrap

iCrap Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    • Illegal/piracy-related discussions
    [removed]
  7. smarty94