What needs to be backed up before restoring?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by nubby, Aug 5, 2008.

1. nubby

nubby New Member

I am curious once 2.0.1 pwn tool comes out and allows us to jailbrake what will be needed to be backed up? I know you have to restore your iPod and it will delete all my NES Games and Applications..I...er..got. Will the backup apple creates be used to put it back on? Or just I SSH into my ipod and transfer it all to my desktop and back it up that way?
  2. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

The backup that Apple uses only backs up info from /var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control, and now (with 2.0) /var/mobile/Applications. So no, nothing in any other folders will be saved.

The is a new iPranks backup utility for 2.0 that will back up everything but those 2 folders; look for it in the Jailbroken iPod Touch Application Releases section.
  3. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm working as hard and fast as I can on v2.0, but what is currently available doesn't fully cooperate with 2.0.... I am planning a new release, but it's overhauled completely from anything you can imagine ( I think) feel free to hop over to the thread and gimme some input

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. nubby

nubby New Member

Oh, so it isn't released like the other poster said? So, my best bet would to be just to SSH all my folders to my desktop? What folder is music and videos stored in so I do not have to copy that other since when I restore it will put that on it.
  5. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It should, as far as I can remember at least, Backup everything the same as 1.1.4 except for AppStore Applications, which are housed differently. I'm pretty sure you would be fine otherwise, just double check the backup.
  6. nubby

nubby New Member

Okay I installed your program and selected 1.1.4, although I have 2.0. And put in my IP and password. Now I am at the point of where I need to select what to back up. So, this doesn't back up /Applications? That is the main thing I care about is all the apps and games I have. I might just SSH everything if that is easier and will get what I need.
  7. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That IS what it backs up. /Applications and /private/var/mobile/Applications are totally different things. /Applications is what it will grab.
  8. nubby

nubby New Member

I run it and it says the batch file could not be found and then shuts down.

What are the directories I should copy to save my games and apps (I know /Applications) and like Poofed icons and all that like it said?

Edit: Stupid me forgot to enable wifi since I turn it off to save battery. It seems to be working now. I will see how it goes. Is it fine for my ipod to go dark and to the slide to unlock phase? Will it still transfer?
  9. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It's best to go settings > General> AutoLock and set it to never.

errors that say the handle is invalid or the batch file cannot be found are completely normal, no problems there.
  10. nubby

nubby New Member

Alright, it looks like it backed up my Applications and some other things I selected fine. Now it is time to wait for a 2.0.1 pwn tool. I would update now, but I would hate to lose some of these apps and games.