What kind of user interface do you prefer in an app?

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by wat., Feb 16, 2010.

1. wat.

wat. New Member

Device:
    iPad
    This may be a *tad* off topic, but I couldn't think of a better board to put it in.

I'm a developer. I currently have an app that's ready to submit, however I'm hesitant, because I have no input from any users, and have no way to get any without submitting it and giving out some promo codes (not an issue, but I'd prefer to have it as nice as possible in version 1.0).

Now, I'm curious to see what you guys prefer in app interfaces. How do you prefer apps to look? How do you like them to be set up?

Just give me some general thoughts on what YOU like to see in an app's user interface. Not just for a single type of app, but for whatever apps you like.

I want to know so that I can make my apps as nice as possible for users!
  2. Swat

Swat New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    What type of app is it. Your being too general.
  3. matinsa2005

matinsa2005 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    just give us some promo codes and we will tell u the bugs and our suggestions!!!
  4. wat.

wat. New Member

Device:
    iPad
    I was intentionally being vague, as I want general answers to see what kind of apps people like, and how they want them to function and look. I'm working on multiple apps of various categories, so any input would be helpful. Not only for the apps that I'm working on, but for future apps as well.

As far as promo codes for the app that's nearly done, I may or may not release some once it's on the appstore. But, like I said, I don't want to submit it until I get a bit of user input.
  5. magic8ball88

magic8ball88 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    If its a game the user interface is anyones guess. But if you mean like the tabs at the bottom of the app (like in the iPod app it says songs, artists, albums ect.) I prefer apps like that they are much easier to navigate.
  6. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    If it's not a Game, always use stock UI elements unless you're a very good graphic designer. Developers that pull off a custom UI style are far an few.
  7. wat.

wat. New Member

Device:
    iPad
    What about for a button-based interface? As in, buttons that aren't on a tab bar/toolbar.
  8. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Seriously, there's being general, and then there's this. What exactly is the app in question? UIs differ from app to app. As long as your images are clean, not in-your-face, and attractive you should be grand.