What kind of applications can you use after you JB?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by itslinx, Feb 1, 2008.

1. itslinx

itslinx New Member

Forgive me, I don't have much time to search the forums for the answer(s) to any questions I might have. Only because i'm at work at the moment and I plan on buying the iPod Touch 16GB rather soon. Possibly today.

My main question is this. Once you jailbreak your iPod Touch, what are most of the programs you can then use on it? I'm not asking for a complete list, but if it isn't too much trouble, i'd like to know most of them. Like I said, i'm planning on buying one rather soon, so i'd like to know if doing this jailbreak stuff is worth it. I obviously don't know much about it. I know I can't take it back if something does happen after I jailbreak it. Also, is there a way to undo it once you have already done it? Incase I wanted to sell it or bring it back to where I got it.

I like the iPod Touch the way it comes, but if jailbreaking it can be done in a safe way and i'm allowed to use alot more apps I find cool/useful, i'll do it. Any useful responses are appreciated.

Also, is Apple eventually going to make it so we can do all this 3rd party app. stuff without jailbreaking our iTouches/iPhones? If so, when? If not, is it worth jailbreaking (1.1.3 i'm assuming) or waiting til 1.1.4 or whatever else?

Thanks in advance,

Matt.
  2. I_am_Mad_like_This

I_am_Mad_like_This New Member

VNSea - You can control your computer with it
    OpenSSH - See the contents of your iPod
    Emulators - Make your iPod pretend it is a gaming console, like playstation,gba
    weDict - Dictionary application, it is the best
    Books - read books with it (yes... like harry potter)
    Instant messaging - self explanatory
    MaCalc - Scientific calculator
    Pocket guitar - a guitar in your pocket
    Converter - clothing, currency, you name it

those are some things to provoke someone new to jailbreaking
  3. itslinx

itslinx New Member

When you say Instant messaging, does that include AIM? If so, how does it work?

Also, how easy is it to get ahold of those apps you mentioned? Do they all come in one file and you choose what you want to install (..or do they all install automatically)?
  4. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    There are plenty of applications that you can use on your iPod Touch after it is jailbroken. There really is no need to worry, much of this community have jailbroken iPods and they are all (possibly a few exceptions) running smoothly. There's so many applications, i'll just name some of them.

1. Apollo (Instant Messaging on iPod such as MSN, AIM or ICQ)
    Apollo is a simple program where you enter your instant messaging username and password onto your iPod Touch and it signs you into the IM program, in a "mobile" like version. Also, on Safari you could go to meebo.com and that is the equivalent for IMing people.

2. Sketches (Etch-a-Sketch replica, draw and shake to erase)
    3. Flashlight (Turns your iPod into a flashlight by turning the screen bright white)
    4. Emulators (Gameboy Advance, NES, PS1, SNES all on your iPod)
    5. Customize (Reorder your icons, change the icons in your dock etc)
    6. SMBPrefs (Change your background from black to a preset theme or extra downloadable themes)
    7. TTR (Very similar to Guitar Hero on your iPod Touch. Play songs from your library or download some.)
    8. Books (Read eBooks on your iPod for free - such as Harry Potter or others.)
    9. Converter (Conversion for money, tax, measurement, etc)

Also, there are many many games that are downloadable to your iPod Touc. I'll list some of the better ones below, although there are many others:

1. iPhysics (Great game, draw lines etc to get the ball to the finish target.)
    2. iSnake (Classic "Nibbles" or "Snake" game on the iPod. Move the snake around to collect the apples.)
    3. iSlots (Slot Machine for your iPod.)
    4. iSolitaire (Classic Solitaire game from Windows on the iPod.)
    5. Labyrinth (Get the ball through the maze without the ball falling into the holes. Demo, 10 levels.)
    6. Garf (Simple "Simon" game. 4 colors, they will flash and you must repeat what flashed.)

If you purchase your iPod Touch and it doesn't come with Firmware 1.1.3/January Update, the 5 new applications (Weather, Notes, Stocks, Mail, Maps) are available for free rather than paying the $19.99US update from iTunes.

As for your question, Apple is indeed coming out with third party applications very soon, sometime in the month of February 2008. They will be having a Software Development Kit (SDK) and are having a team of programmers from Apple that will be designing third party "approved" applications. AppSnapp (Jailbreaked 3rd Party Applications) will still continue to run though, and most likely will continue to have further more third party applications than the SDK programmers from Apple.
  5. skynex721

skynex721 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    No time? You had enough time to write that long message.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Just messing with you bro. I am new to all this too. I heard about it a while ago, and I didn't really seriously consider jailbreaking my ipod touch until I saw ipodtouchmasters video on youtube. So I researched it and decided to do it, that was three days ago. I will admit I ran into some problems but I got thru them. Now I'm really happy, I have the iphone apps, the new iphone features all for free. The mail application is handy, and so is the weather, I get a current temp without having to leave the apt, and a forecast.
  6. akermar

akermar New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  7. I_am_Mad_like_This

I_am_Mad_like_This New Member

yeah. of course