What I've Learned From 1.1.3- Essential Tips

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by romeboards, Feb 5, 2008.

1. romeboards

romeboards Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Through this very painful process, I've learn a lot fo things that are not listed for you to see, and can only be found by digging through endless upon endless thread of people all having the same problem. I'm hoping that people can sumbit tips, so first time 1.1.3 jailbreakers won't have to sort through all of this muck and have all of these problems.

What I have so far:

Golden-Rule: Be aware of what you're doing before you attempt it. Find sites, search the forums, and know every possible thing that could happen before you try anything.

1. a 1.1.1-1.1.3 jailbreak will freeze a lot of your music playing.

2. Summerboard is very touch and go, if it doesnt work the first time try and try again.

3. its better to upgrade from 1.1.2 with all of your stuff preinstalled than to start off with a basic 1.1.3. For some reason I had a lot of problems with this, including many 'missing' directories.

4. Always make sure Auto-Lock is set to 'Never'

5. If Installer won't install something, try clearing the queue first, then try installing it again.

6. Setting app permissions to 755 (or '0755') can solve many app related problems. Go inside the app, select everything, and change its permissions to 755. Reboot.

Please add your own thoughts, I would really like to have a running tab on these so this sub-forum can start to make some sort of order and sense.
    1 person likes this.
  2. hphhonkey

hphhonkey New Member

be VERY VERY cautious when adding new applications, etc to your ipod
    check to make sure apps work from other users/posts, set permissions immediately, and if something crashes or freezes, DO NOT ATTEMPT IT A SECOND TIME, just uninstall and find a fix, you may go into recovery mode and restart everything if you dont

(thanks itouchmaster12345.. fixed
  3. itouchmaster12345

itouchmaster12345 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    if you go into restore mode... (or recovery mode which ever you'd like to call it)

make sure you learn methods (in different threads) to solve recovery mode situations. The first time it happened to me, I restored immediately without thinking or searching the forums. There are easy ways to get around recovery mode, meaning forcing itunes to recognize your ipod.

ON A MAC I USE INDEPENDENCE! it completely works! ignore the next post by axelis6
  4. axelis6

axelis6 New Member

lol
    if it goes into restore mode.. means something is wrong...
    so u should restore it... i've done it 6 times

hahahahha and im here
    1.1.3 jailbroken..
    and i've learn what to do... i prefer to have the experience.. than avoid the problem

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. GarnetNGold

GarnetNGold Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Don't install dock because once you reboot you can only click on stuff in the springboard.

Once you click on installer you can't click on anything else.

If you get stuck on the apple logo it usually means that you installed something bad. For

example, I installed aquarium and the springboard reloaded and I got the spinning circle. If

this happens just download Total Commander and the T-Pot plug-in, since you can't SSH

into your Touch because wifi didn't load. Use Total Commander to delete the app you just

installed.
  6. frnkyn

frnkyn Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    when u use summerboard, u either need to hav dev team's jailbreak or u need to change the permission of ur summerboard folder to 755 using Winscp or something else
  7. westmob

westmob New Member

If your ipod freezes it is possible to send it into recovery mode on accident. I did this and was able to use independnce (Mac) to bring it out of recovery mode. So recovery mode is not always a sign that something is broken.
  8. itouchmaster12345

itouchmaster12345 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    thank you thats what i was trying to explain