what is tiff exploit fix?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by jmiz9000, Oct 29, 2007.

1. jmiz9000

jmiz9000 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    what is tiff exploit fix?
    its new in installer
    wats it do?
  2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

A tiff is an image file. Tiffs are able to have code coded into them. It was a vulnerability of the iPod's tiff rendering engine (allowing the code in tiffs to run) that allowed the Jailbreak to happen. The downside is that this leaves your iPod open to malicious attacks, virus, etc.

The Tiff Exploit fix available in Installer fixes hole and secures your iPod. Try it.
  3. bazbo1

bazbo1 New Member

so just to clarify - if we use the exploit fix, can we then carry on modding our ipods afterwards (install apps etc etc) or does this fix essentially un-jailbreak our ipods?

Ta

B
  4. ipoddy

ipoddy New Member

What I'm not sure about this TIFF fix is that once I install it from installer, do I have to install the AppSnap by going to http://jailbreakme.com ? I'm asking this because after you install TIFF fix from installer, it ask to to go to that website. If the purpose of AppSnap is to jailbreak, I already did it using older method. I guess TIFF fix in installer for those who already jailbreak ipot, they don't need to install AppSnap. Can somebody make it clear?
  5. midiman6

midiman6 New Member

to my understanding this fix just patches your ipod safari so no more code can run through a tiff file. It won't un-jailbreak your ipod because the code has already been executed.

Essentially this fix is just making your ipod touch more secure
  6. bossei

bossei New Member

So if you need to Jailbreak your iTouch again then you would need to do a restore?
  7. bazbo1

bazbo1 New Member

....and where can we download 1.1.1 from - I cannot see it on the apple site - I thought it was only available through itunes?