what is this whole jailbreaking thing??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by fernandito7, Feb 16, 2009.

1. fernandito7

fernandito7 New Member

Hi im new to this forum and have a question. Its probably been discussed already but was unable to find anything via search function so here goes. My wife recently bought me an ipod touch 2g for valentines. Its the 32gig. I have been reading all about this jailbreaking thing and how you can run endless applications and have them downloaded for free. How does this whole jailbreak thing work? I know that once installed you will be running a new installer such as cydia or instalous. But what do these do? Do you select them like any normal app and from there will you be able to download games like supermario bros, tetris ect??? Also will all the functions of the ipod still work such as importing videos, movies, pics, using wi-fi. I am aware that there is no jailbreak for a 2nd gen yet but its on its way, or so ive heard. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  2. flyingguitar

flyingguitar Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    You pretty much have the general idea of the jailbreak.

And btw, there is a 2g jailbreak http://www.redsn0w.com
  3. *MATT JAM3S*

*MATT JAM3S* New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You can do everything, with it jailbroken as a regulat ipod, there is a tetherd jailbreak, wich mean's you cant reboot without a computer.

You can get emulator's and there is mario

Please Register or Log in to view images

you can customize your ipod to make it look different.
  4. ipodtouchesrule

ipodtouchesrule Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hi, and welcome to the forums. Jailbreaking is where you will have two new applications for downloading applications. Like an App Store. Those two applications are called Cydia and Installer. You can download applications from both of them.

The general population of applications you can download are:
    - Themes
    - Games
    - Mods

Remember those are just the general population of apps. There's an endless list of applications that you can download. Jailbreaking is NOT illegal (however it might be in the near future), but it WILL void your warrenty.

Hope I helped, PM me if you need anymore information.
  5. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Tip for the future: never discuss [PIRACY]us or how to get App Store applications for free. It is against the forum rules and will result in a ban.