What is the "proper" way to downgrade so I can begin jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by Overspeed, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Overspeed

Overspeed New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I was not able to find this answer if the " Way too frequently asked questions" sticky.

I have the 16GB touch bought a few weeks ago and after connecting to iTunes for the first time it said 1.1.2 was available so I upgraded. I only learned of Jailbreak recently and I want to give it a try.

I have read many tutorials, watched the youtube videos and browsed topics here in this forum. The one point that wasn't consistent if various tutorials I found was the proper way to downgrade. I have read that using the iTunes built in recovery is the way to go. Others have suggested using the SHIFT click option and installing firmware from a downloaded file. And still others have suggested butting the unit in recovery mode and then allowing Itunes to recover. So i'm wondering which is the correct way? I can verify that my unit did come from the factory with 1.1.1.

I have read all the success and horror stories and I want to geth this right the first time.

To end I have a few questions not related to my main topic:

1) What is the success rate of jailbreaking using the automated version at jailbreakme.com. I ask this because many people who claim they followed the precise instruction, were using 1.1.1 still experienced errors mostly the usual blue box with the "?"

2) When basic jailbreaking is complete should I then proceed with the 1.1.2 upgrade method (the octprep or whatever it's called). I have head that some apps are only for 1.1.1 and others 1.1.2. Thoughts welcomed.

3) Is there a maximum # of apps you can install? When you first boot up the unit there is plenty of room for m ore icons but what happens when all space is full... can more still be added?

4) Lastly I just watched a few mins ago a video on youtube of a owner who jailbreaked and in turn experienced a much smaller battery life. Is there any credit to the claim? If so are there ways to maxmize the battery life?

Thank you so much for listening and looking forward to futher participation here.

Robert
  2. Zigg47

Zigg47 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hey i can help

I can tellu how to downgrade because lucky for u i downgraded my ipod last night! first off go to this link http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Jailbreak_1.1.2 and scroll down till u see step 1. then click on the ipod touch 1.1.1 ipsp firware file and click save and make a new folder(doesnt matter what the name is) and put it in their. Wait for it to finish downloading which may take a while depending on your computer.Then after that plug in your ipod and open up itunes if it doesnt already come up. Hold down shift and click upgrade.Then go into that folder u made and click on the 1.1.1 firmware file u just downloaded and click ok. then let it do its thing until its done but dont unplug your ipod you no for sure its done. then u should have firmware version 1.1.1. Then to jailbreak it go to jailbreakme.com on your ipod and go down and touch install appsnap. Then your safari will crash to homescreen and start downloading leave it alone. then it will restart and you will have installer. Then your ipod will be jailbroken!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Pm me if u have any further questions!

Oh and to answer your questions!1.everyone i have talked to u says that jailbreakme.com is a successful way to jailbreak it. I used it yesterday and it worked like a charm.2.do not upgrade it to 1.1.2 once jailbroken with 1.1.1 because you will be back in the same place as before.3.what simply happens you start developing pages of apps. so technically no theres not a maximum # of apps you can install iits just until u run out of disk space on your ipod.4. ive done some research and found know one to be expericencing that same problem so no i dont think that will happen. So yeah pm me if u have any more questions!
  3. SynnR

SynnR New Member

You can install OktoPrep, upgrade, and then run windows.bat/jailbreak.jar. Then you will have a jailbroken iPod running on 1.1.2