What is the point in having mods...

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by pared, Aug 19, 2008.

1. pared

pared New Member

...if they are going to allow something like this to happen:

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91172

A thread posted on the front page to gather a visitor's attention. Then, if you actually click and read through the thread looking for information on firmware 2.0.2, you come across one poster who is repeatedly bringing up a discussion to annoy some posters. An off-topic discusson.

Regardless if you agree with that or not, the topic of the thread is useless as there is not only a lack of information on the topic but some feel the need to continue to make it a discussion. I thought that was what the OT was for.

Shouldn't some mod "step in" as ask the posters to quit taking the thread off-topic? I enjoy visiting this site for the wealth of information the users can share, not for individuals who feel the need to force their opinions on others in threads that have nothing to do with their topic of discussion.

I will say I believe others should ignore individuals such as these as they only seek attention on forums. If you have enough experience with them you would know that... but others don't realize that and the back and forth just continues on and grows tiresome...
  2. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Most threads are like this.
    Especially ones with that many pages.

Unfortuanetly, the mods dont have the time to read all of the pages just to find 1 person.
    So report posts.
  3. pared

pared New Member

I can understand that... but if you're going to have a thread posted in the FRONT PAGE for exposure, shouldn't that at least be a thread that gets "looked after" so to speak?
  4. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    First of all, the thread was only put on the front page for the original post, usually before the discussions even start.

I agree with you, they should be kept on topic, but as a mod, you can't possibly read every single post. That is where the report button comes in handy. It automatically sends the post in question to the mods, and they take care of it from there.
  5. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    To close useless threads like this.
  6. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    agreed.
  7. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

To get rid of flamers, spammers, off-topicers and morers.

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. pared

pared New Member

Exactly why they should follow it. It's not the first time a front page thread has devolved.

I will certainly utilize the alert button in the future however.

Thank you for providing such a useful response, unlike your multiple other posts in the OT Forum. It's much better than a well thought out comment with reasoning. It was extremely witty and I'm sure your peers are very impressed. Maybe now you can give each other an e-high 5 or claim to be 1337.
  9. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    And you are???
  10. Joseph

Joseph Retired Moderator

I front paged this BEFORE the offtopic chat even started to happen, when I did, there were just a few posts (like 4 - 5)...

Thank you for letting me know though, next time you should report offtopic posts (it's faster and more effective) since it is pretty important to stay on topic on a front paged thread... As I see it now, there's nothing else I can do, except for closing the thread, but that wouldn't help at all.