What is the difference between jailbreak and soft upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by aaron80, Jan 31, 2008.

1. aaron80

aaron80 New Member

Hi pardon me if I sound noob but what is the difference between an official jailbreak and a soft upgrade. Been seeing alot of thread for 1.1.3 JB around. And the latest best one seems to be the official soft upgrade by the Dev Team posted by Skylar. However what is the difference between jailbreaking and soft upgrade? Soft upgrade doesnt mean jailbreak? And if I do the soft upgrade to 1.1.3 now, do I need to jailbreak again when the official 1.1.3 jailbreak is released?
  2. aaron80

aaron80 New Member

hi anyone can shed some light on this? I m sure there are others who would also want to know the differences.
  3. rumpster

rumpster New Member

Great question, I'm wondering the same! I upgraded to 1.1.3 jailbreak using AriX version. The other one out there is ipodtouchmaster's version, which includes the iPhone apps and "tremble" (springboard icon rearrange) function. But what is the difference between these two and the "soft upgrade"? Anyone?....
  4. aaron80

aaron80 New Member

Got 88 views but no one can shed some lights on this?

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. domenic72

domenic72 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    A true jailbreak (which is not out yet for 1.1.3) actually modifies the firmware on the ipod. A soft upgrade (all versions that are currently out) upgrades the software only (not firmware) on the ipod to fool iTunes/iPod into thinking it is at 1.1.3 where in reality it is still 1.1.2.
  6. aaron80

aaron80 New Member

Thanks alot for the clarification! At least i am enlightened to the differences between the 2 now. I guess this will mean even if i do the soft upgrade now, i will still need to do the official/true 1.1.3 jailbreak when its released. I will hold on to my 1.1.2 jailbreak for the moment then..

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. aaron80

aaron80 New Member

Can we make this thread a sticky? I m sure this info is very useful to those of us who don't know.
  8. aaron80

aaron80 New Member

No one finds this useful?
  9. wthoang

wthoang New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    many of us noe this and then again many of us dont...but i think if it could be explained better, it would make a good sticky....because the above one is a bit breif and not detailed...(dont ask me to to do it....i understand the jist of it but dont noe the inner workings)...gl
  10. robcoffee

robcoffee New Member

I didn't get this bit either, after much thread reading and trying to pull apart the batch file Jailbreak method (one of many) I think the soft break basically unpacks the 1.1.3 on the ipod somewhere, and then pulls the new bits into 1.1.2 already there. So you get the new functions, but keep the installer.

However, it must be more complicated then that because the file system is changed with all the user directories in a different place hence all the problems people are having with 1.1.3

So the 1.1.3 is a stop gap, I really want to see if the Ipod function is improved with it to see if it was worth installing but i will need to spend some car time over the weekend to find that out.