what is the difference between composite and component?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by GreeKNastY, Oct 24, 2007.

1. GreeKNastY

GreeKNastY New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    at the apple store they have both...the one dude said composite is better quality or something

which should i get..i currently have no HD plasma LCD fancy sh*t...
  2. lokinz

lokinz New Member

Component Has the 3 (RGB) video feeds and Composite has just the one (Yellow)

If you have an HD tv I would suggest Component.
  3. GreeKNastY

GreeKNastY New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    would both of them work with all tvs?...if so i might as well get theo ne with HD in case i doo soon get a HD tv
  4. andyandy6464

andyandy6464 New Member

the Component will only work with TVs with component in (Mostly HDTVs). I'm not sure if they make a cable with composite (yellow)
  5. pipdipchip

pipdipchip New Member

Many TVs, including those that aren't HD, include component these days. You will send a slight improvement over composite but not nearly as much as a HD user would.
  6. iTorres

iTorres New Member

hi guys,

quick question... i have an older Sony TV (10 years old at least) which i'm pretty sure has composite video/audio input and a newer HD LCD by JVC (that's a lot of initials), around 18 months old which I'm "guessing" will have component input... does anyone know if composite is forward compatible with component, i.e. if i buy the composite cable in order to connect my iPot to the Sony, will the same cable also work on the JVC?

i obviously don't expect the quality to be the same, but as long as I can stream out audio and video to both TV sources i'll be happy

Please Register or Log in to view images

of course, if i have to pay for both composite AND component to get it to work on both, I won't be

thanks in advance!
  7. kevio

kevio New Member

Component is much better than Composite. It's easy to remember if you think about Composite being like Composite waste (crap).

Most newer HDTV's that do offer Component inputs also have the older Composite as well as S-VHS. I would suggest reading the manual for your TV and getting Component if possible. With my iPod hooked up to my 42" Plasma it looks pretty much like DVD quality when viewed close up. From the couch it looks perfect.
  8. andyandy6464

andyandy6464 New Member

Torres,

The short answer is no, you cannot plug component cables into composite jacks or vice versa.
  9. kevio

kevio New Member

10. rimell1

rimell1 New Member

I would like to connect ipod touch with projector to display presentations, so which one component or composite is better?
    Thank you,
    Magdalena