What is the advantage of buying from Apple or a local Apple store?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LAPTOPGAMER, Apr 1, 2008.

1. LAPTOPGAMER

LAPTOPGAMER New Member

I notice a lot of people are having I Phones and I touches shipped when there are Apple stores all over the place.
  2. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i bought mine online. the advantage for me was A) it got here a day before they even arrived in apple stores B) it was free shipping C) free engraving D) it shipped from california, so there was no tax. i just payed a flat $299.99
  3. Dafreakzo

Dafreakzo New Member

I purchased mine at Best Buy and had it in my hands within a matter of seconds...
  4. jjbloo

jjbloo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I got mine at macmall.com and save money(I only paid 250.00 for it) and got free shipping and engraving
  5. jordanpooph555

jordanpooph555 New Member

more expensive in stores
  6. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I don't see any advantages because with other retailers, they are more likely to offer an immediate replacement if you complain of a defect, whereas Apple is much more skeptical.
  7. LAPTOPGAMER

LAPTOPGAMER New Member

That is the down side of dealing with mailing it in if you have a problem as an Apple store will take care if it right there.
  8. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    What I'm saying though is at most other retailers, if you complain of a problem they'll replace the iPod (unless it is completely smashed or something), whereas even at the Apple brick & mortars I've found them to be more suspicious and less likely to give a replacement.
  9. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Having experienced multiple exchanges with the iPod Touch when it first came out. I noticed a few things:

- 1st time I shipped back for an exchange due to video playback problems, the 2nd time they shipped me a unit with some scratches on the back, though it was still brand new. Upon exchanging it a third time, the packaging looked fine on the outside, but there were more scratches on the back, even though the protective plastic was on it.

However, when buying from a retail store, I noticed that it was flawless and the build quality was better than ordering online. It may be that when shipments are sent to stores, because they are in bulk, they are much better protected than if being shipped alone by UPS. Impact resulting from it getting tossed around and it's small mass may be a major role player. Plus, exchanging with a retail store is much faster than having to ship it back and get a new one. As a result, I highly recommend buying from a retail store.
  10. Teslanuat

Teslanuat Banned

BUT...

If you buy online, you can get free engraving, shipping, and no tax. Plus, I ordered mine online and it stopped working so I brought it to the Apple Store and they took it back. They gave me one to use for a few weeks and sent my other one in for repairs (I have engraving so they couldn't just switch them) I think buying online is better and mine was shipped via FedEx with not one scratch on any other markings.