What is SSH?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kevin_, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Kevin_

Kevin_ New Member

Hi!
    Yeahhhhh............I dont know what it is and what it does. I have it as an app when I JB'd my ipot.
    Can any1 tell me how to use it or direct me to a thread that tells about it? I cant use the "search" because it has to have a minimum of 4 letters and "what is ssh" cannot be found.

THX!
  2. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    SSH = Secure Shell. Basically a way to access your ipod remotely i.e. using puTTY or winSCP. You dont really need to worry about it, and you can keep it turned off, as it drains the battery quite a bit, unless you need to transfer files like roms or something similar directly to your ipod, or something like that.

Hope that was clear, lol

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Kevin_

Kevin_ New Member

Dang you guys are fast lol! I was looking through some other threads and I seen that people were doing stuff through: putting stuff in file/this/that/thing. Is that what they use it for?
  4. simonrichards150

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, that's right, you can use it to access the ipod's filesystem, so you can browse it and change stuff

5. Kevin_

Kevin_ New Member

I was trying to change my carrier symbol and I think you got do it through the filesystem thing. When I turn the SSH on, nothing happens. I dont see it in my computer. I dont have a Mac...could this be the problem. OR! is there an app that I need to work with the SSH?
  6. simonrichards150

Device:
    iPod touch
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9978

Follow that guide to get access to your ipods filesystem.

I would suggest you install Customize.app from the installer, as version 1.18 seems to be working, and it will change your carrier image for you. Theres a tutorial here somewhere about how to put your own carrier images in customize, search for it , i have forgotten where to find it.

7. Kevin_

Kevin_ New Member