iOS 4.1 What is PWNED4LIFE?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Justv, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Justv

Justv Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I have seen is used may times but don't know what it means. I know what the word means but not in terms of jailbreaking.
  2. iRa1n

iRa1n Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It means the exploit is in the ipod itself and not the firmware. Every update will be jailbreakable
  3. Justv

Justv Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ok, thanks.
  4. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    It means that it is a PWN so deep into your system that when you upgrade they can't patch it and you can jailbreak every firmware onwards.

A new PWN is coming out that may/may not
  5. Contagon

Contagon Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I think a better way to explain is that the loophole (the exploit that makes it jailbreakable) is in the hardware, not the firmware. This means that Apple can't close this loophole without making new iDevices. I know when I hear pwned4life I think the jailbreak is stuck on it forever.
  6. 42395_skyline

42395_skyline Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Correct.

It's a hardware exploit that can not be patched without Apple making a completely new device. Such as the 24Kpwn jailbreak on the iPod Touch 2G MB model.
  7. TchnclFl

TchnclFl New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yup. Some people seem to get the false impression that you can't undo a jailbreak on a Pwned4Life model.

This is, obviously, not true! All jailbreaks are reversible through iTunes Restores

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. samethernet

samethernet Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    ^ correct as when you jailbreak regardless of model and type of jailbreak, it loads a payload onto the firmware user area which is all scrubbed via a restore
  9. Relapse

Relapse Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    So say I jailbreak 4.1, 4.2 comes out I can instantly jailbreak my iPod Touch 4G? And if I can, say 4.2.1 comes out I jailbreak my same iPod Touch 4G again, and then a new device comes out coming with 4.3 I can still jailbreak that on the same iPod Touch 4G?
  10. TchnclFl

TchnclFl New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Not quite.

The jailbreak tool will have to be updated for each successive firmware update, but this takes MUCH less time than developing a whole new tool. Once the tool is updated, you can update and jailbreak. The idea behind Pwned4Life is that you will always be capable of jailbreaking, regardless of how Apple updates the firmware.

Apple can still make it difficult, but the Devs will always be CAPABLE of jailbreaking it.