What is NOR?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by buzzaugust, Mar 16, 2009.

1. buzzaugust

buzzaugust New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hello

Please Register or Log in to view images

Im new to this forum so im sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Anyways, im strougling around with the question: what is NOR? I know you patch things there when you JB. But what does it mean if a JB tool is NOR only? Also, is QuickFreedom NOR only?

Thanks in advance, August
  2. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The NOR is a small allocation of memory stored in a logical partition (very small, like 8MB) on the FTL that holds Apple's ImageList for the iPhone, which includes most of the boot environment.

That is, if I read the wiki correctly a few months ago.
  3. unknown1337

unknown1337 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I think its the system that contains the files that allows you to boot. You can really mess up your iPod if your toying with it.

UPDATE: What he said^
  4. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Eh, not so much.
    You can do a lot to it and manage to get it back, but I wouldn't take any chances.

It's actually not even a partition, it's a different chip (you have a NAND and NOR, and it's also ~1MB).
    It stores a bunch of configuration information about your device (serial number, environmental variables, etc.) and critical system images such as iBoot.
  5. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    right... where is it physically though? I thought it was just a logical allocation on the NAND.
  6. posixninja

posixninja New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
  7. buzzaugust

buzzaugust New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thank you for your replies

Is all the untethered jb's NOR/NOR-only?
  8. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It's just a completely different chip from the NAND; I believe it's on the side of the board, whereas the NAND is kind of in the middle.
    That's kind of useless information though.

QuickFreedom may do a NOR-only restore, and I know redTool does, but all untethered jailbreaks are not NOR-only.
    You can still create a full IPSW to restore to (that wipes your file system and everything) if you wish to do so.
  9. InsertiPodHere

InsertiPodHere New Member

Well, quickfreedom is not nor only since it wipes everything on your iPod and restores the thing like it's new.

RedTool is Nor only, and the only people that needs a Nor only jailbreak are those whom already have a tethered jailbreak and need to go untethered without losing their apps and music and have to resync.

Edit: I checked the advanced options for quickfreedom unless repatch firmware means nor only, I really doubt that it can do Nor only, but I could be wrong...
  10. posixninja

posixninja New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    actually, he might be right. very few manufacturers create 1MB NOR anymore, it very well could be just a partition of the NAND chip.