What is missing on the iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by etiennelj, Aug 11, 2008.

1. etiennelj

etiennelj New Member

I'm totally new to the world of iPod Touch and I fell in love with the product, but a couple of things refrained me from buying one. In fact, I'm not sure if these things are available on the iPod Touch, therefore, I'd like to know if they are available now, or if they will be available soon with software updates...

And, according to macrumors.com, I shouldn't buy a Touch now because an hardware update is supposed to be announced soon? What do you think about that? Do you think the next hardware update would fix some very important problem like WiFi compatibility with WPA Enterprise? Could it be only a software fix?

Grocery list of missing functions:

1. Cannot play streaming (or not streaming) WMV/WMA? (No Flip4Mac or equivalent?)
    2. No "Office Apps"? (I guess there is, right?)
    3. No Japanese characters recognition? (Only Chinese? Can use Chinese characters recognition app for Japanese kanji? What about kana?)
    4. No simple way to use the device as a VoIP phone? (It seems complicated to hack the thing, get a phone number, buy a microphone, etc.)
    5. Not able to connect to universities WiFi networks? (WPA Enterprise? A MAJOR problem for me...)
    6. Others things I forgot by now...

Thank you!
  2. AngelSynth

AngelSynth Banned

it only "seems" complicated to hack "the thing" when in reality it's quite easy and requires little effort on your part
  3. etiennelj

etiennelj New Member

Yeah, I guess it's not that hard, but this is not my main concern with the iPodTouch. But is it really safe to hack the Touch? Anyway, I'm more concerned with WiFi compatibility for example...
  4. AppleDude

AppleDude Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    What can't you do with the ipod touch with a little effort, besides have wifi everywhere big whoop.
  5. iEfforts

iEfforts New Member

I don't doubt that we'll see 2/3 in later updates. I think there might be office apps in the app store?

What would be a nice add on is a voice recorder.
  6. diegohuyke

diegohuyke New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    buy an iphone instead. or if you want an ipod touch just wait for a software update in the mean time jailbreak it
  7. etiennelj

etiennelj New Member

iPhone is too expensive with the cell phone plans. And I don't want regular cell phone functions... If I could have an iPhone for 200$ I would be in heaven! Anyway... I just would like to have access to VOiP or even Skype? What about Skype?

But do you think the Touch hardware will be upgraded soon? And if so, what are the changes you expect in this new version?

Oh, I forgot... What about SlingBox?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Someone, please?

Please Register or Log in to view images